Mistrust

"Something on your mind?"

Lakshman turned around to face him and shook his head. "Nothing at all, Uncle Vasu."

Karna had come in early to check in on the building of the guest houses. He was glad to find that they were drying up quickly. In a few days, they would be ready for accommodation.

"How is cousin Abhimanyu?"

"I think he should be okay. At least for now."

"Well, that is good to know." Lakshman replied, putting down the document he was reading on the table. "Looks like things here will be fine too. We have accounted for all the rations and donations, there is enough to last a few weeks at least. By then, the rains should subside."

"Indeed. You reacted very fast."

"The Kingdom" Lakshman blurted out. "The Kingdom reacted fast."

Karna smiled at Duryodhana's son. "Would it kill you, my child, to take a compliment that you rightfully deserve?"

Lakshman shifted his glance away from him, towards the open window. The storm was abating. The clouds had cleared away and the weather was warmer than it had been for the last few days.

"Ashwatthama told me about the conversation you had with him".

Lakshman stiffened. Karna waited but the boy said nothing.

"Is it true? Do you honestly believe none of us care?"

Lakshman cleared his throat, leaning against the desk and gripping the wood with both hands. "I don't know why I said all those things to Uncle Ashu. I will apologize for my impertinence to him when we get back."

"And how do you propose to do that when you have made a conscious effort to avoid him since then? And me?"

"That is not true, Uncle!" Lakshman protested, licking his dry lips. "I have been perfectly civil to you-"

"I don't want you to be perfectly civil!" Karna raised his voice, earning a look of pure shock from Lakshman because never before had he ever done that with him.

"It was my own loss, for being obliged to leave following the denouement of Mahabharata, but I didn't expect that you would have me delegated to a stranger. Are you hesitant to let me know what is going on in your mind?"

Lakshman overcame his shock to respond in a low voice. "What is it that you want to know, Uncle Vasu?"

"Simply, are you alright? Because it doesn't feel that way."

"People change Uncle Vasu. You did and so did I."

"Lakshman-"