Decision

The sun had set behind the hills and darkness had fallen upon them with large clouds moving overhead, blocking the moonlight. It was at this point when finally Vibodh declared with barely suppressed relief that Abhimanyu would survive. A loud cry rose through the attendants and Nakula rushed out to inform his family of this development. Vibodh and his attendants immediately began to clear the room, disposing off the soiled, bloody clothes and the copper utensils that had been used to create the medicines. Tremors crawled over Karna's body at the thought that the grueling wait was over. A part of him rejoiced at the fact that his name would not be tainted with the blood of his nephew, that even though his betrayal had caused tremendous grief to his best friend and to himself, at least some good had come out of it.

Sahadeva collapsed in a heap near him, his hands covered in the medicinal paste he had prepared for the burns on Abhimanyu's thighs and chest.

Something stirred in Karna's heart when he noticed how weak and small Sahadeva looked. In that instant he was not an accomplished warrior, nor a noble prince but a crushed man overwhelmed with the herculean task of trying to save his nephew from the clutches of death. And now that he had done it, he would have to battle his conscience which would remind him every day that it had been the Pandavas themselves who had entreated Abhimanyu to enter the Chakravyuh which had resulted in this tragedy.

The five brothers had seen their own share of suffering but nothing could ever beat watching their son, for all Pandavas considered Abhimanyu as such, lying in a state like this. Karna remembered how Sahadeva's hands had trembled while applying the paste and Vibodh had taken it from him gently, unburdening him of the task.

Perhaps it was fatigue that made him reach out to Sahadeva, whose face still hadn't lost the look of pure disbelief at what had transpired today.

"Are you...." Karna's voice was soft and kind, "Are you all right?"

Sahadeva didn't respond, instead he rolled up his legs and rested his face upon his knees.

"Hey it's ok. It's over.", Karna said, placing his hand on younger man's shoulder. Sahadeva stiffened but didn't look up, nevertheless Karna took it as a sign and felt emboldened enough to run a hand through Sahadeva's hair. The youngest Pandava's head snapped up, and he stared at him like he was seeing him for the first time. The look he gave him, one of breathtaking vulnerability, felt so unreal that Karna removed his hand in a hurry, frustrated at himself for crossing his boundaries. Sahadeva whimpered as if.......as if......protesting the loss of touch.

But what happened next was even more inexplicable. Instead of lashing out at Karna for his part in Abhimanyu's current state, instead of lambasting him for breaking the code of honour, Sahadeva gazed at him with calm desperation, frowning in deep thought. He was searching for something; his eyes flicked across his face in wonderment as sorrow clouded his features.

Lost in reflection, both men started upon hearing a distinct clattering of hooves on the ground and a gut-wrenching cry of woe from outside. He had completely forgotten about Arjuna, his arch nemesis, who now Karna knew was also his brother.

Karna turned to a sleeping Abhimanyu and whispered in his ear, "Look son, your father has arrived.". Then as gently as possible he released his hand from Abhimanyu's grip and stepped back as a frenzied Arjuna entered the tent with the rest of his brothers in tow. Karna was sure that Arjuna hadn't even registered his presence such was his grief, and he took that opportunity to slip past the Pandavas.