Confrontation

If Duryodhana had known that he would have to suffer through three hours of puerile squabbling and surreptitious slandering, gracious endorsements, and declamatory pledges, he would have chosen the solitude of his personal mansion and the quietness that came with it. At least he wouldn't be nursing a headache that threatened to kill whatever peace he had gained following an evening of intense training. His muscles were sore, but Duryodhana felt a little better than before. He felt like a warrior.

He was not unaware of the furtive glances thrown his way, the disbelief so evident that he would have to be blind not to notice it. The second he had entered the revered great Kuru Sabha, Duryodhana felt like a monkey performing tricks for curious onlookers. Most stared at him openly, as if they had forgotten who he was and what power he wielded as the crown prince of Hastinapura. Even the minor kings gaped at him in shock, not bothering to shift away their lingering gaze even when he glanced at them. Their flabbergasted looks were amusing but soon became tiring. And though he knew he looked like the complete opposite of the strapping and vigorous prince he once was, he did not particularly enjoy being gawked at like that.

The discussions had produced mixed results. Most of their old allies sat unperturbed at this new development, staunch advocates for the Kingdom that they had been in confederation with for several decades. Duryodhana suspected that their succor stemmed from the fact that Somadhi was relatively younger and though he was respected as a shrewd strategist, his inexperience, as well as his reputation as a less than impressive warrior, tarnished their view of him. In this Hastinapura won because of the presence of King Dhritarashtra, who had been friends with them for long and overtime earned approbation that had been previously withheld due to his infirmity. Then were several other neutral kings who had been a little hesitant, wanting to wait and watch, consult with their chief advisors before taking such a huge decision. Duryodhana couldn't blame them. The Great War had emptied all their coffers; economic preservation had become the utmost priority.

At that moment, disregarding age and experience, his son, Lakshman Kumar, had stepped up much to the astonishment of the Sabha and explained in no uncertain terms the grim situation that they were all facing. Respectfully reminding them of the numerous times Hastinapura had come to their aid, politely but firmly insinuating the significance of the kingdom's influence and its impact on the history of Aryavarta and lastly deftly singing praises of great warriors of Hastinapura whose rage they would face if they chose to desert King Dhritarashtra, he had taken the court by a storm. While Pitamah Bhishma, the venerable grandfather, had been lost to Mahabharata, Hastinapura was not without its heroes, Lakshman observed grimly, flourishing a hand around. The state has numerous allies that stand ready to defend Hastinapura against anyone who dares to challenge the might of Kuruvansh; he declared with an air of arrogance, as if daring the king's present to disagree.

He had ended his rousing speech, with an astute observation that their enemy was not as strong as it seems. Their spies had informed them that there were tensions in Somadhi's camp as well, and perhaps Magadha was not as prepared for war as it wanted to appear. Duryodhana maintained his cool facade of solid indifference, though underneath, his chest swelled with pride for his son and how smartly he had maneuvered the discussion in Hastinapura's favour. Duryodhana knew that the same apprehensions regarding Somadhi would be brought up manifold for Lakshman due to his age and inexperience, in the private discussion between the kings, later on. But at the moment he didn't care as he watched Lakshman take control of the situation with confidence and finesse.

He has always known that Lakshman Kumar had a perspicacious mind and a solid intuition, but it had always been eclipsed by his nerves that quivered with conspicuous anxiety at having to face others; making him doubt the intellect that goddess Saraswati had graced him with. But to see him like this, boldly and firmly put forth his views while maintaining both his composure and the expected propriety made Duryodhana realise how much his son had changed. What would he know, he had locked himself away from the world, leaving his loved ones to fend for themselves. Fortunately, his son was not like him and had the guts to face the world and challenge time and destiny with striking fortitude.