Separation

"This is truly one of the most beautiful sights in the world," Satyasena said, looking at the cascading waterfall. The white, frothy water disembarked the tall cliff to gush down with a deafening roar. The surrounding mist created a surreal sight, giving it a mystical touch.

"It surely is." Vrushali responded, smiling at him lightly.

It had taken them a month to reach Tanshul. The guardian and protector of the Kilsa tribe greeted them warmly and was largely sympathetic to their cause. "Stay here for as long as you want, Queen Vrushali. I cannot give you the riches and luxuries of a kingdom; however, I hope you will be pleased with whatever hospitality we have to offer."

His mother shook her head at him. "We have no need for anything else, Tanshul. I offer you my gratitude for taking in my family and me."

They had assimilated well with the village folk. The Kilsa tribe spent their mornings catching fish in their small boats and scavenging for wild fruits. Their knowledge of the land stumped Satyasena. One of the tribesmen was so brilliant that he could predict at any moment which wild animal would come to drink water from the lake. Prasena, impressed by the feat, began to clap aloud for him for getting it right in nearly every guess. His other brothers shared a mischievous smile and did the same, causing the young man to blush like a newlywed. Now, the poor man had to run away any time Susharma or Prasena came near him, for they were sure to drag him to the lake and force him to perform his marvelous trick yet again.

At night, the village would gather around to listen to the elders, who narrated to them the teachings of Shiva Purana through fables. It was a very simple lifestyle, but one that filled him with warmth. He hadn't thought he would feel comfortable anywhere except their home in Anga, but this place came a close second. Their Grandfather had shed his earlier stoicism and would spend his time with the other geriatrics, trying to understand their complicated history. Grandmother and Mother took it upon themselves to expand their culinary skills by learning to prepare the local cuisine. Even Satyasena, who didn't particularly like fish, had been blown away by the dish that they had made for them a week ago. He had to make do with only a few morsels because Chitrasena and Sushena had attacked the meal as if they hadn't eaten in months.

His mother left him to tend to his grandparents. He found Banasena, Prasena, and Dvipata playing a game of tag in the garden, and Susharma went in to join them, running fast to frighten Dvipata, who was looking elsewhere. Susharma shoved him, causing Dvipata to fall to the ground, landing hard on his stomach. Dvipata moaned in pain and scrambled up, giving Susharma the most vicious glare. The two started roughhousing each other, and Prasena and Banasena came in to join the fight.

"What a lively bunch of boys."

Satyasena began to laugh. Tanshul had joined him, eyeing the commotion with interest. "Boys that age are so ferocious."

"They deserve to have a little fun. You cannot imagine what it was like in the mountains."

"Oh, you have my sympathies, Prince. Such harsh conditions up there. But here it is like spring all the time!"

"I am very glad to be here," Satyasena said. "I cannot thank you enough."

"Don't thank me. I am merely returning the favour extended by your father."