Chapter 27: Punishment

The silence that filled the hall was as eerie as it was heavy. King Dhritarashtra's proclamation had stunned every living soul present in his royal chambers.

"Maharaj......" The chief minister's voice fumbled.

"What is it, Vidura?"

"Surely....... we can discuss this issue further in a more objective light-"

"My decision is not subject to change." The king said with all the firmness that his authority granted him.

"Maharaj Yudhishthira of Indraprastha, I hope you are pleased. You are free to appoint men you see fit for this investigation. The committee you set up will be given full assistance from every member of the Hastinapura Court and Army."

Yudhishthira was too stunned to even reply to the king. He simply nodded.

"Prince Lakshman Kumar, you are hereby directed to comply with any and all orders you receive from this Investigation Committee. In the meantime, you are free to prepare your defense and support your innocence with verifiable evidence. However, under no circumstances must you question or disobey any order you receive from the Investigation Committee. Is that understood?"

Lakshman didn't even bother to look up. "Yes, your Majesty."

"Prince Abhimanyu," King Dhritarashtra's gaze turned to the teenager in empathy. "On behalf of the Royal Court of Hastinapura and the House of Kurus I extend you my deepest apologies. How is your leg now?"

Abhimanyu spoke up. "It's much better now, Maharaj."

"Very well. I pray for your speedy recovery. Vidura, let us end this discussion here. Thank you all for coming."

With a swift glance at all those present, King Dhritarashtra left the court in a hurry, assisted by his aide and closest friend Sanjay. Karna knew very well he was headed out to Queen Gandhari's gardens for a short walk. He bypassed the gradually dispersing crowd and rushed through a small alley that opened up to the path that Dhritarashtra was likely to take after a brief stroll through the flower beds.

Catching his breath, he leaned against the stone wall, waiting.

When Ashwatthama had informed him of what was happening, he had immediately set out for King Dhritarashtra's quarters, wondering what would be the result of this impromptu meet. Never could he have guessed the actual result, and he was sure he was not alone. Judging by the dumbfounded looks on the faces of all those present, it was apparent that the king had taken everyone away with a storm.

His wait ended sooner than he had expected. Dhritarashtra rounded the corner and stopped immediately, sensing his presence.

"Karna," he stated with quiet calmness as if knowing that he would be there waiting for him.

Karna bowed down. "Maharaj," he greeted with folded hands. "Please afford me a few minutes of your time. There are some things I wish to have clarity on and I am afraid only you can help me with the same."