Parting

"Well, he is back. That is what matters." Arjuna said.

Yudhisthira nodded, but he still looked tense. Arjuna couldn't blame him exactly, considering the rate at which Nakula was unraveling, his drinking problem turning more and more serious by the day. The thing is Nakula always drank this much, it's just now the reason was not pleasure but pain. His behaviour though was certainly reprehensible. Arjuna was sure that the news about the disturbance would have reached all the kings by now. But it wasn't the embarrassment that bothered Arjuna. It was the fact that his younger brother was spiraling out of control with no regard for his well-being and for his status as a Prince. Even though the wounds of the Mahabharata remained, they were still the children of Kunti and for them to act in such a manner was bound to bring shame and doubt on their mother's upbringing as well.

But Arjuna wondered with what right could they demand an explanation from Nakula, how they could order him alone to stop when all of them were engaged in a competition to see who could be more self-destructive. Sahadeva and his insomnia, that meant him staying awake for almost the entire night for several days in a row. He had no idea how Sahadeva was functioning with that little sleep. And then there was Bhima, who seemed to have given up on eating altogether. Yes, Bhima, the same guy whose appetite knew no bounds before. Arjuna could hear him sometimes, heaving from a nightmare and pacing in his room, and Arjuna wished he could do something............anything to help his brother. But he had no clue what to say or do. So he stayed in his room and prayed that his family would find some peace.

Dhristyadyumna had shrugged off his concerns quite easily. That's what kings do all the time, he had said. So, what if Nakula was having a little more than whatever is the acceptable proportion? He'll get better with time. It wasn't so bad.

Arjuna looked at Sahadeva standing in the corner, awfully quiet since he had told them what had happened. Bhima was still fuming.

"When he wakes up, he is going to get an earful from me." He huffed, crossing his arms.

Arjuna wanted to be angry at Nakula, too, just like Bhima. Not only had he created a scene in front of the royal guards and King Vibhoda, who had invited him for an evening of silly carousing, he had also hit Sahadeva. This was completely unjustifiable.

Yudhishthira had already sent an apology to King Vibhoda, who had fled after Nakula became far too obstreperous and out of control, attacking anyone who tried to placate him or take away his liquor. He had also managed to injure a few of the guards, and the Pandavas had promptly asked their personal physicians to tend to the wounded soldiers and guards who had been punished by their recalcitrant brother for doing their job.

And to think that Karna, of all people, had to intervene, to aid in restraining Nakula until he quietened down? For him to bring his brother back home? That thought made him even more furious.

"Sahadeva, you should put some ice on that. Shrutasena, ask the servants to fetch some immediately." Yudhisthira stated when he witnessed Sahadeva massaging his jaw. There was some swelling there too and his lips still appeared bruised, even though Sahadeva had roughly swiped away the blood when Bhima had pointed it out.

"It's alright. Nevermind." Sahadeva grabbed on to his son before he left and gestured for him to return to his seat.