Council

"Prince Lakshman."

"Yes, Lord Pravindran?"

"Might I suggest we take a little break? The council has been sitting for close to five hours now."

Lakshman looked up from the parchment in his hand to the faces of the elderly men surrounding him. The evident fatigue in their eyes jostled him, and he dropped the papers down to address the council. "My apologies. I suppose I was too engrossed in this discussion to realise how long we have been here. Perhaps we can close for the day? I would like to thank you for your time."

"We are all the servants of the crown, Prince. And I say this for each of us, that your interest in these matters and your deliberation on the nuances of the subject make you the most ideal student. If anything, the honour was ours."

"Very well, Councilman Jugdesh. I hope you will not regret these words the next time you find yourself seated here for more than five hours."

A light, gentle laugh spread across the room as the men stood up, carefully stacking up the parchments that lay on the table in a tangled mess. Lakshman exchanged a few more pleasantries with them, inquiring about their health and family. By now, he was fairly acquainted with all of them and had developed a deep propinquity that was based on mutual regard.

In the past year, Lakshman had been actively involved in the execution of the administrative decisions, as decreed by the Royal Court of Hastinapura. Given the absolute lack of skilled manpower and an even diminished motivation, it had been a difficult few months post the war. What Lakshman knew existed only in theory, and he soon realized the value of experience when he was faced with quandaries beyond his expertise. No treatise could prepare him for the challenges that he was forced to encounter. It had been a learning experience unlike any other. While Lakshman was still unsure of his proficiency in these matters, he at least no longer considered himself a novice.

To develop a thorough understanding, he decided to delve deeper into the crisis, hoping to understand the process from the very beginning. Of the many divisions whose heads formed King Dhritarashtra's Council of Noblemen, he had opted to work with Lord Bringrog and the subordinate members of the Council of Treasury. Led by Bringrog, they were responsible for overlooking the treasury and were keenly involved in all major financial decisions, including trade with other kingdoms, lending activities for various sub-bodies, and taxation and subsidization. They monitored the kingdom's economic health, counseled the king on pecuniary rulings, and supported local businesses through a strong credit line.

"Lord Bringrog. I am heading down to Grandfather's study room. Might I ask for your company?"

"But of course, Prince. You need not ask, only command."

"Thank you. Sir."

They went down the circular staircase and took a left turn. It was a fine afternoon, all bright and sunny. The sky wore the color of blue, and nary a cloud hung over them. A flock of pigeons sat perched on the parapets, picking at the grains left by kind servants.

"May I ask you a question?"

"Of course, Prince."