Mountains

The dewdrops sitting on the lush, green grass that spanned across the expansive meadows, sparkled as the first rays of the sun kissed them, quelling the darkness that had engulfed them for days when heavy clouds ruled the sky. Birds, rejoicing at the return of light, augmented the fine morning by singing their hearts out, rousing several from their deep slumber. Radha smiled, as she gently lifted herself off the bed, careful, so as to not wake up her husband. She followed her diurnal routine quietly, even though it was too early and the weather had been dreary enough to warrant spending a little more time, enveloped under the cozy blanket and surrendering to sleep.

Quietness hung around the house as Radha dried her old, grey hair and sat down on the porch, watching the Son God, dispelling the night away in his golden chariot. Sipping a glass of warm milk, she brought her sari closer to herself as a cold breeze blew through the grove of shamshad trees. She was an old woman, used to sunlight and warmth. The harsh demands and brutal restrictions of the mountains did not sit well with her age but the company of her loved ones did soften the blows of destiny.

She hummed an old lullaby then hushed herself, upon realizing that she might end up waking her daughter-in-law whose room was the nearest to where she was seated. The near stillness of the mountains, coupled with the idyllic beauty that she had only heard in stories and the isolation, for very few were brave enough to give the snow-capped peaks a chance, were so vastly different from the quotidian hustle-bustle of the city. Here, time moved at a different pace, and under the expansive sky and limitless greenery, it transformed Radha into a curious child who saw magic in the purity of nature that was fortunately yet untouched by Man.

Yet even as she sat amidst the beauty that had no equal in the world, anxiety battered her down, and tears formed in her eyes.

Karna.

Radha smiled even though her heart constricted painfully at the mere mention of her son. Worry seeped into her veins and she hoped and prayed, with all she had that he was well and doing fine.

Her son had left months ago and Radha wondered how he was doing. She wished he had sent a letter but Karna had stated that there would be no communication between any of them, for their own safety.

There are a lot of people out there who want to hurt us, Mother. I have no dearth of enemies.

Radha didn't know why he chose the mountains. He reveled in the warmth of the sun and the summer breeze, then why had he chosen to come here, where sunlight was scarce and cold winds blew throughout the year? Was it because this was a remote place, where no one would find them? Or was there another reason?

Radha sighed. Karna had always been an enigma, even when he was a child.

People often liked to exaggerate things, giving a larger-than-life appeal to days when they think fate had been kind to them. Yet, Radha remembered the day when her life changed to be painfully mundane, the morning ordinary and nondescript as she completed her puja and sat down to prepare breakfast. Her husband had left early to pray by the banks of Ganga and Radha worked fast, knowing that he would be returning soon. She kneaded the dough with the knuckles of her hand, keeping a check on the flames to ensure that the vegetables were cooked properly.