Daughter

Karna lounged in the lavish guest room that Ashwatthama had allocated for him, ignoring his request for a plain one that befitted his status. Strange, for Ashwatthama knew that Karna had always preferred simple living. Had the crown on his head made him forget this? Or was this another one of Ashwatthama's useless attempts to shield him from the questioning looks in the eyes of commoners and noblemen alike. Three days had passed since he had arrived and he was not unaware of the uproar that his surprise visit had caused. He had not been seen for an entire year by anyone in Bharatvarsh and now he had suddenly appeared out of thin air at Northern Panchala where his friend lived. The only one with whom he could share his distress, the only one he knew who would not spurn him when he saw him at his doorstep.

The month of Ashada had brought the monsoon winds early, covering the blue sky with dark, heavy crowds pregnant with rain. He stared at the sky, mesmerized, barely noticing the ecclesiastical servant who waited and then coughed aloud to garner his attention. With proper intonation he announced, "Maharaja requests your presence in the Guest Hall."

Karna nodded at him and followed him out to where Ashwatthama stood chatting with his chief minister. Both men smiled upon his entry.

"Pranam, Maharathi Karna."

With folded hands and a bowed head, the aging minister greeted him. Karna raised an eyebrow at Ashwatthama and accepted the gracious welcome. They exchanged a few pleasantries and then the Chief Minister left in a hurry, citing some important work.

"What's with him?" Karna asked, confused at the minister's strange behavior.

"Bhadran is excited, much like the rest of the kingdom. He has left to make preparations for the day after tomorrow."

"Why? What's going on?"

Ashwatthama handed him a letter painted with the royal insignia of Dwarka. "Vasudev Krishna sent this. It is his wish to stay here in Panchala for a few days. He has requested that you and I accompany him on his journey to Hastinapura next week."

Karna was surprised. He had been planning to leave for Krishna's kingdom in a few days since Krishna had insisted that he would take care of his questionable appearance in Hastinapura. And why shouldn't he? He had as much part in this predicament as Karna did. Still, he had no idea how Krishna was going to explain his presence to the Pandavas who Karna was sure hated him with the intensity of a thousand infernos. And what about the Kauravas? What would Krishna say to them? And more importantly, why would they listen to a man who they had insulted as a trickster in the royal court, in the presence of King Dhritrashtra.

While countless questions like these bubbled inside his mind he watched as the kingdom was adorned like a young bride to welcome the charismatic Krishna, who bards had already proclaimed as the eight avatar of Lord Vishnu. Bhadran looked like he would suffer a stroke from anxiety as his eyes searched the horizon for the contingent from Dwarka. Ashwatthama, eager and pleased to have the honor of hosting Krishna, busied himself in the preparations, staying up late at night to check everything. He had to force Dronaputra to get some sleep, assuring him that all will go well. Anticipation mingled with anxiety and the kingdom waited with bated breath for the arrival of the man whose divinity knew no bounds.