-19-

"Come on mage we aren't far." She groaned softly in answer as I was almost entirely carrying her by this point of the journey back. The maze was finally clearing up, and I was so glad to step back into the outer garden.

I shoved the front door in with my shoulder, and I was met with guards pointing their spears at us, and, with all the stress of today, I started to yell.

"Get all concerned to the healer's room now!!" I screamed at them. "We almost there mage." I said looking at her but she looked far away, eyes drifting to the ground looking as she might pass out any moment now.

One of the guards took her from me and carried her as I followed after.

I watched worried as she was laid on the bed, seeming to walk the thin line between consciousness and unconsciousness, blinking slowly.

"There have been a lot of brunt blows." I told the healer looking over her. "She covered me with her body."

"Don't sound guilty princess. Like any of us serving out kings and queens, it is an honor to protect."

"I-- Anyhow we think her previous wound has reopened."

-----------------------------

It was a while after she got fixed up again that she was truly back, looking around. The book I was reading resting on my knees and remained seated in the armchair I occupied for quite some times now.

"You had been right mage, one off its blows did indeed hurt the wounds created by the pronged bolt." I said to her, gaining her attention.

"What are you doing here Highness?" Her voice was soft.

"Making sure you lived was the least I could do to repay what you do to me."

"So you watched over my half comatose self... It is my job Highness there is no need to repay anything." Well if she says it like that it does seem weird.

"I know it is your job but I also know even if it weren't you've have thrown yourself in harm's way, you are just that type of person that would do that, you say it is just duty but you think of saving others before thinking it is duty."

"...You got me there." She sighed heavily before turning her head back to stare at the ceiling.

I couldn't help but stare, a slice of sun ago she was in such a bad state again because of saving me, a wet rag on her forehead to dull a potential headache as the healer said and her hands wrapped up in a way it seemed like she was wearing gloves instead of her fingers being tied together, the skin having been scorched off by her own flames.

"You have way too good of a heart to act purely out of duty, that's why I do need to repay you... How you feeling?"

"Does 'crushed by a dragon's foot' serve as explanation enough?"

"Oh it sure does." I tried not to but still laughed, covering my mouth with a hand as it took a moment to suppress the laughter. "Do you feel apt to move?"

"I suppose her Majesty and king Alabard want to hear our side of the attack?"

"Yes and they asked for you when you awoke and could operate your legs on your own."

She pushed herself up to sit and put her feet on the ground.

I hurried to discard the book and walk to the side of the bed, ready to help in case she fell.

I held out my hand and she grabbed it, I carefully pulled her up to her feet.

"Don't doubt me princess, I might be hurt but I am not fragile."

"Oh I seen enough to know that fragile is not a word that applies to you."

She nodded, a ghost of a smile on her face and grabbed her undershirt to put it on, I didn't voice it but I was happy she didn't even try to tie up her corset, I don't want her to hurt herself more with it. My own had been brought back to me not long ago and I had it back on.

I saw her stare at the light scar on her face through the mirror but I kept my mouth shut, wanting to reassure her it wasn't that visible but she didn't looked bothered by it, a wild mage was who healed her since her side was also hurt again so it is lighter then a normal scar. It wouldn't have by a scar if it could have healed on its over as it takes a whole lot of trauma for the face to scar but wild magic forced the healing so the mark remains.

"Highness." She held out an arm to her side, elbow bent. 

I smiled at the offer and hooked my arm around hers as she opened the door and we headed out.

"Twice has my kingdom almost caused your early end mage Mystery and for that I apologize." King Alabard said when he saw us enter his studies, even bowing down a little in apologies, I could see mother and Amalia already there and probably waiting since the accident occurred. 

"It is my duty to die for my Majesty and her heirs king Alabard."

"So mages, what can you tell us about what happened on this day?" My mother asked.

She was so worried when she saw us and she thought since Mystery was off so bad I was hurt too but outside being shaken up and a few bruises from being smacked around and squeezed on, I had nothing.

Amalia remained professional but I had seen she wished to run after Mystery when she was brought back.

"Your Majesty I have the sinking feeling this attack is one of the many already aimed at the princess, we were confined inside with so many of this ghostly magical projections I could have never left the castle." Amalia spoke first.

"They were effectively after the Highness." Mystery added. "A bigger monster then those Amalia had dealt with came after us, trying to separate me from the Highness and when they realized I wouldn't let it happen it came after me." I still remember the fear gripping me when I realized it changed targets.

"I can only thank you for your service to my daughter mage Mystery, who knows of the grim fate that awaited her if you weren't there."

"Thank you Majesty but that's the problem, I wasn't the one to nullify the threat." Oh yes, it was me, somehow.

"Then who? Amalia saying all magic vanished into a void."

"It did but I cannot create such spell, a void-like that is the opposite of magic, an all-consuming force that eats away at elemental and wild magic." Was it that I summoned? Was that what the emptiness I felt in my chest?

"Who was it?"

"I owe my life to the Highness."

"Audrey?"

"Yes mother, we don't know what happened, it was about to crush mage Mystery in its claws and I just needed to do something, you taught me that a queen shouldn't run from danger unless there is truly no more choice and this happened, I felt a heavy emptiness in my chest, the magic making up the monster tearing apart and I felt a gust of wind in my face."

"I can theorize it has to do something with her purple eyes your Majesty, they must mean more than her connection to dragons but unfortunately I cannot give a definitive answer." Mystery said.

"The small innate grasp our family has on wild magic manifested in an intimidating aura for me as you know daughter, it is just as possible that the rareness of the purple eyes came with a rare gift."

"That could be a reason why you are hunted dear friends." The king said. "Someone could have knowledge of what that void truly is and is willing to do anything for it to not reign on the throne, fearing how powerful it could become, I will have my men escort you home for safety as one guard and one able mage is sure not enough."

"Thank you my friend."

"On my part I will look into this void and the purple eyes to see what our archives have about them."

"We'll do the same from our side, I count on you dear friend."

I looked at Mystery, almost amused that she was not the only one with mysterious abilities now.