An ending

I never wanted to have to do this but after so long, I feel I owe you all the ending of the story or at the very least: a full stop.

I was thirteen when I got this my first FF account and you can see how my writing has changed from chapter one to now. Siblings Reunited really made me what I am today. I've always been a writer; I can't remember a time I wasn't making up stories. But those first stories never made it out of my mind. They were simple, made to help me sleep as a child. Over time, I managed to get one story onto a page. But only one page. It never made it beyond that.

I never shared the details of my stories. I didn't write most of them down. Until this one.

Siblings Reunited was not only the first story that made it beyond one hundred words, but the first one I properly shared with people beyond my family. It was the longest story I had ever written for many years. It was the first story that people liked.

I owe so much to the people who have consistently stuck with this story. Despite the constant year long gaps between updates, despite the dreadfully short chapters, the inconsistent style and tone, despite my current lack of interest. I still write, but Siblings Reunited just never enters my mind anymore. Anytime I'm reminded, it disappears again. It's one of my early stories now; part of a past that I've moved on from. Back then I said I was going to finish this story no matter what. This is me fulfilling that promise.

I've tried to write the next chapter, but I can hardly get more than two words out at a time, then life takes over and I forget again. It's not fair to you. So instead, I'm going to give you two options. I think I know which will be picked (or at least, what I'd pick) but I'm going to offer both anyway:

1. I post a new chapter discussing what I had planned. It would have no character interactions (no Sonic said "this", Amy said, "that" formatting either), and would be more like this chapter. It would be like a planning page, but it would at least tell you what happened. Parts of it might be more detailed, but I haven't written it yet so I cannot promise

2. The hiatus continues until I have the next chapter (and any chapters following) finished.

Without swaying your decisions, I can at least guarantee an ending with option 1. I would have just uploaded a chapter exactly like what I described there, but given your patience and devotion, I could not in good conscience do that without at least warning you that said chapter would not be a proper ending.

In an ideal world, I would be able to give you the ending you deserve. But I have changed so much since the inception of this fic that I can't get into the same headspace to write it. The passion I had when I was younger has moved onto other projects, and while there will always be a special place in my heart for this fic: I doubt I will be finishing it any time soon. If option 2 is picked, then I'm afraid it would take a very long time for the next chapter to come out. I don't know if I can even see the final chapter being written. I do promise that whichever option is picked that I will follow through to the best of my ability.

After this, I won't be uploading anything more to this account.

While this may be saddening, I want to emphasize: this fic is one of the best things to ever happen to me. All of you, from the favouriters, the commenters, even the silent readers: you gave me the confidence to write. I still post fics elsewhere and my ability to write has improved, my confidence is higher and I am far, far better at updating fics within a reasonable time scale.

I hope you're all keeping well, and I'll see you all next time (whenever that might be).