The End

I'm going to start by answering the reviews of the commenters (on both Wattpad and Fanfiction.net) before I going into an explanation of what was planned. There will be a line break where that starts if you want to skip ahead.

Gokuu the Carrot:

I really, honestly don't know. Cuz on one end, there's a finale, one which explains the story, what's supposed to happen. You could maybe even think of your own dialogue or something, when you see this. But in the end it's not really a story. On the other end, I'm sure a lot of us would continue to keep waiting and supporting. But I feel like that'd be selfish.. like no matter how much you wanna read it, the author isn't into anymore, and they can't give 100% no matter how much they want to.. I guess I'd say option 1 then. It could be interpreted however the reader prefers. If you get what I'm sayin.

You pretty much captured the feelings I had making the last chapter. I wish I could finish this the way it deserves to be, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure I can't continue this the way it should be so this is my compromise. Maybe one day I'll finish it properly, but until then I hope you enjoy this discussion/planning/chapter thing XD

SX-000:

...Well, option 1 it is then! And don't you worry, we completely understand you!

Thank you! I appreciate it, I've been feeling rlly guilty about this for a while DX

Bananaboat2009:

I don't know, whatever one is best for you!

Maybe you could try to rewrite this story into something you like? Like rewrite the plot line into something you're proud of. Just a suggestion.

Not a bad suggestion but one I can't see happening. This is a relic of a begone era and I'm such a different person right now that I don't think rewriting this would work. I do want to put it to bed though, so this is my best attempt.

bajy:

I understand

Arigato gozaimasu

HannaCleveland

Go with option 1. It's better than the story never getting an ending at all.

I agree tbh, I want to finish this rather than leave it indefinitely.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Firstly, I'll address the ships. Obviously the ones mentioned in the summary are canon but did you know that Cyrus and Mindy are also canon? Shock horror. It's implied in Chapter 24, but I thought it would be best to fully confirm it here. Along with a ship I never got the chance to imply: Argus and Aleena! I had the idea ages ago about them getting together; they have history, and clearly care for one another, so I thought I'd pair them off.

Next up, SharpDragonKlaw (in November 2018) commented "I can't wait to see who this mystery POV is they gave me the chills." About these passages:

"Afterwards, I felt a persistent chill. It was in my capsule of glass, separated from the world outside that I waited, longing. My future was paved in front of me, a road with twists and turns that hold no real promise of challenge. It was so close, I could see it, smell it, hear it, taste it, feel it. But alas, I would be denied that which I hungered for so dearly. I was not... "ready". And so, I waited.

But no more. No longer."

"The future is a fickle thing. There are those amongst their number who know the intricacies of our actions first-hand. But I know better. I know what my future holds. I have seen what is in store. I have seen what we all become. I have seen how it ends.

It is infinity, laid out in all its majesty. It is nothing. A desecrated world that holds everything and nothing.

And I am the one to bring this ecstasy onto this world."

The person narrating this is Infinite from Sonic Forces. He was the reason that the Sonic Heroes were called for an emergency in the same chapter. The next chapter was going to be a huge fight against him, where Maria would learn a lot about herself. Which leads me to:

Maria's fighting style! Since she sacrificed herself in canon for Shadow, I figured her weapon of choice wouldn't be a weapon at all: it would be energy shields that she would use to protect other people, and maybe would electrify robots, thus cancelling their movements in a pacifist way. She would realise this during the Infinite fight, as seeing her friends getting hurt would inspire her invention. They would all escape the Infinite fight, but most of them would be badly injured.

At some point after they're all better, they would fight Infinite again, then Eggman in one final battle. They win, of course, and then Aleena comes back with the Oracle of Delphius in tow. They use their medallions and the chaos emeralds to revert the city back to Mobotropolis and de-roboticise the people. There's a happy reunion with their foster families and then they gear up for a huge celebration.

Sonic Underground organise a huge rock show which is broadcast around the world, as a way of showing the world that Eggman has been imprisoned and the Mobotropolis has been liberated.

I considered a time skip where everyone is married with children but I had no concrete plans.

I want to say a final goodbye. I'll probably check this periodically, but this is it. It's been a wild ride.

Thank you for your patience and support.