= Chapter 13 =

Large, dark circles appeared under Aspen's eyes as she heaved a giant book from the top shelf of the library. Ember and Lillian had gone back to the dorms for the night - well for the past few nights. Aspen hadn't left the library since Draco went under the curse. She had missed many classes, hadn't eaten anything, and barely slept a wink.

"C'mon, give me something..." She muttered hopelessly under her breath as she opened the book.

She flipped through the pages, skimming over certain subjects before slamming the book closed, finding nothing useful to help Draco. She hadn't planned on giving up, but perhaps Pansy was right - there was no cure.

"Why! You stupid swine, why did you have to ruin his life!?" She screamed, dropping to the floor.

Madam Pomfrey raced in through the door, gasping at the sight of Aspen. "Oh my, let's get you to the hospital wing, dear."

---------------

"She's waking up!" Lillian gasped from above Aspen's waking form, which laid limply in the hospital bed.

"Mmm Lilli?" Aspen asked, struggling to sit up.

"I'm right here, do you need anything?" She responded, grabbing a glass of water for Aspen.

"I... I guess I'm hungry... wait, is that Mr. Bear?" Aspen giggled emotionlessly, looking at a small, stuffed bear sitting on the bed next to her.

"Yeah. It was Fred's idea actually." She responded, watching Aspen pet the bear's furry head.

"Fred? Is he here? Can I talk to him?" Aspen asked, looking up.

"Yeah sure, I'll bring him in while I grab some food, want anything?"

"Just a blueberry muffin please."

Lillian nodded before exiting the curtained room as a familiar, red-headed boy entered with a weak smile.

"How are you doing?" He asked while sitting on the side of her bed.

"I'm doing fine. Could be better though." She shrugged.

"I heard about Draco, I'm so sorry." He said, not sincerely though.

"It's fine - I'm fine." She said, clenching her fist around the bed sheets.

"No, you're obviously not..."

Aspen sat it the silence, her head down and staring at the off-white bed sheets. She finally looked up into Fred's empathetic brown eyes.

"He was my best friend, my partner in crime. We did everything together - we danced and played and sang together. But now that he's gone, I don't feel like myself anymore. I feel...  broken." A single tear proceeded to fall down her cheek.

Fred scooted closer, looking into her teary, forest green eyes. He gave a weak smile as he slid his hand over hers. She looked down at their entwined hands, then gazed up at him.

"May not understand what your going through, but maybe I can help. Come spend Christmas with me and my family. We'd be honored to have you." His smile grew as she nodded her head.

He bent down and pecked her tear-stained cheek as Lillian walked into the room, a playful smirk on her face.

"Lovebirds in action, how cute." She laughed as Fred and Aspen looked at her, petrified.

"Perhaps." Fred smirked at Aspen before getting up and leaving. "See you soon."

--------------

Dove sat on her bed, heartbroken and beyond sad. She glared at the red and gold bracelet on her wrist before taking it off, opening the window, and throwing it out of the room. She watched it tumble down the plaited roofs and finally lost sight of it once it neared the ground.

"How could he?" She whispered. "I thought he cared for me."

"Dove, are you in here?" Hermione's familiar voice said softly before opening the heavy wooden door. "Hey I just wanted to ta-"

"Did you know?" Dove demanded, looking over at Hermione with teary, blue eyes.

"I-"

"Did you know?"

"Yes... I did and I did my best to persuade Harry to tell you before it was too late." Hermione said, giving Dove a guilty glance. "Ugh! He's just so stubborn. I wish he would have told you. Oh i'm so sorry, Dove."

Hermione enveloped Dove in a tight hug, in which a Dove returned. Tears began to roll down Dove's cheeks as she thought of the happy memories that she and Harry cherished together.

---------------

Mya and Eleara sat with Aspen and Fred as they ate lunch, a nice platter of chicken thighs, noodles, and salad. Vivid was helping Lillian study for an upcoming transfigurations exam and Dove was sulking in her room.

"Did you find anything yet?" Mya broke the awkward silence.

Aspen continued playing with her food as Fred stopped halfway with eating the fork full of noodles, causing them to hang limply out of his mouth.

"It's okay if you don't want to tell us." Eleara added, giving Aspen a weak smile, which she returned.

Fred looked over at Aspen, sliding his hand over his. She smiled secretly, then looked back up at her friends.

"No, I didn't find anythi-"

"Aspen! Aspen! I found something!" Ember came racing into the Great Hall, attracting lots of attention, at which she snarled.

---------------

As soon as Ember and Aspen left, something pelted Fred in the rib cage. He looked down at the bench to see a small, origami swan. Curiously, he opened it to reveal a note in rushes, yet neat handwriting.

Take care of her