= Chapter 21 =

Aspen glanced back at Draco standing in the tall, dewed grass in nothing more than a tight black shirt and sweatpants, his feet left bare. He looked like he'd been desperate to get to her before she left. Soon, the clouds blurred her sight and the ground became barely visible.

"Sooooo...?" Lillian asked, floating back to remain with Aspen.

"Sooooo...?" Aspen repeated, patting the shoulder of her thestral, then looked back at Lillian with a guilty face.

"Oh no... Aspen, what did you do?" Lillian's eyebrows creased worryingly.

"I kissed him! How could I be so stupid!? He was saying all this about starting over and that he loves me and-"

"Do you want that?" Lillian's innocent face was such a contrast from the pain she was feeling.

"... Yes... I do."

---------------

"Alright everyone, single file line." Harry instructed as the portion of Dumbledore's Army straitened themselves in a single file line with Harry leading.

Dull, lifeless balls sat on dusty shelves that surrounded them, towering over them and almost threatening to topple onto them. Aspen, who had taken up the rear turned around, catching the slightest glimpse of a moving figure, then turned back, not wanting to plague her mind with the thought she was receiving.

"How are we going to tell 'Harry's special ball' from the rest?" Lillian whispered worryingly.

"Harry's seen the prophecy in his dreams, he'll know." Hermione hissed back.

"Oh... so now we hear about the Chosen One's almighty dreams; right when we're searching for this glowy blue ball!" Aspen whisper shouted, becoming annoyed that she never knew about these dreams.

"Maybe you two could quit your chattering so he can focus!" Ginny whisper-shouted back as Aspen and Lillian rolled their eyes.

Eventually, after what seemed like hours at end, Harry stopped, causing almost everyone behind him to bump into him. He reached out and grasped a particularly small prophecy ball from a low shelf. He seemed to stare at it for another hour before Hermione called out.

"Harry!" She said as a Death Eater-like figure behind her startled the group.

In a panic, Harry stepped in front of the group as the figure drew near. Stepping forward oh so dramatically.

"Where's Sirius?" Harry demanded.

"You know, you really should learn to tell the difference between between dreams..." The figure pulled his wand from his case and magic-ed away his silver mask, revealing the face of Lucius Malfoy. "And reality."

Aspen drew in a sharp breath. She wasn't expecting this.

"You only saw what the Dark Lord wanted you to see." He said as the group stepped back, almost tripping over each other's heels. 

His eyes rested on Aspen before raising his brows in surprise. "Miss Hale."

"Cut to the chase, Mr. Malfoy, you came here for a reason." Aspen ignored the terrified pain in her guy as she spoke bravely.

"Hand me the prophecy."

"You do anything to us, we'll break it." Harry looked determined.

"Hahahahahahaha." An eerie voice cut through the silence, sending chills up Aspen's spine. "hey now, was that a threat? Itty, bitty, baby... Potter."

"Bellatrix Lestrange..." Neville stammered, wands raised.

"Neville Longbottom, is it? How's mom and dad?" She inquired, a demented look on her face.

"Better, now that they're about to be avenged." Neville lunged forwards with his wand pointed to her, but was blocked by Harry.

"Let's - everybody just... calm down." Lucius said, blocking Bellatrix as she raised her wand. "Hm? All we want is that prophecy."

"Why would Voldemort want me to come and get this?" Harry asked.

Aspen bit her lip, sensing the tension rising on either sides. Lillian could feel it too, grabbing on to Aspen's arm worriedly.

"You dare speak his name..." Bellatrix's brows furrowed as she shouted, "YOU FILTHY HALFBLOOD!"

"Well considering Riddle is halfblooded... hypocrite." Aspen mumbled under her breath.

"it's alright, he's just a curious lad, aren't you?" Lucius said in a calming tone, addressing Harry. "Prophecy's can only be retrieved by those about whom the have been made. Which is lucky, for you, really."

Death Eaters approached on all sides of the different hallways, surrounding the group. Aspen sucked in a breath as her glare spotted a somehow familiar Death Eater... as if she had met him long ago - but that was impossible.

"Haven't you ever wondered what the reason for the connection between you and the Dark Lord." He spoke again, stepping closer. "Why he was unable to kill you when you were just an infant. Don't you want to know the secret?"

Beads of sweat formed on Lillian's forehead I terror as she watched him approach. She tugged at the sleeve of Aspen's shirt, quaking in her place.

"And your scar? All the answers are there... right in your hand" He continued, practically touching Harry as he held out his hand. "All you have to do... is give it to me. Let me show you everything."

Half the group turned around to spot the rest of the Death Eaters swarming them. Aspen's eyes still fixed on the somehow familiar Death Eater, her muscles straining as she lifted her wand higher.

"I've waited fourteen years..." Harry sighed, looking as if he was close to handing the prophecy to Lucius.

"I know." Lucius looked sympathetic, but his eyes were stained with greed.

"But I guess I can wait a little bit longer... NOW!" He shouted as everyone whirled around to the nearest Death Eater.

"Stupify!" They all shouted and began to run.

Aspen stayed in her spot, watching as the army began to run. Lillian spotted Aspen and halted, looking back at her with terror.

"Aspen... What are you doing?" She stammered.

"You go back with the group. You have to stay safe." Aspen bit her lip, a reassuring, faint smile on her lips. "I have to go after that Death Eater. There was something familiar about him and I'll never be able to rest at night if I don't find out why.

"No... I can't leave you! You're my best friend. What if I never see you again? What if he kills you?" Lillian stressed, looking back at the dimming light of the army as they raced off. "I'm coming with you."

"No. This is something I have to do alone. He could give me information on who killed my mother. I will survive because I have something to survive for. I have Dove, Mya, Vivid, Raya, Fred, Draco, and... you. So stay brave for me. I'll meet you by the thestrals when I'm done - I will. I promise." Aspen hugged her friend tight, then watched as Lillian gave a brave nod and followed the army's faint light, her tiny legs carrying her quickly.

Aspen sighed before muttering, "Lumos." And disappeared into the darkness.