= Chapter 23 =

"Aspen? Aspen, wake up!" A sweet, familiar voice said somewhere in the distance. "You have to survive."

A high-pitched buzzing noise rang in her hear, almost making her deaf. She shook her head and attempted to move, only to be stopped by sickening pain between her shoulders and all the way down her back. Her clothes were tattered and burnt as she snaked her hand to brush her back, returning it to her side with the feel of burnt flesh. She opened her eyes and everything around her was burning, but her first glance was her wrist. It still didn't have the dark mark on it, which she sighed in relief.

"Get up! I'm ashamed you didn't even go down without a fight!" Her father's voice rang behind her as she struggled to stand, collapsing every time she tried.

She couldn't do this... this was the end for her. Everything hurt and her back was charred. She was done for, until her own voice popped into her head.

"...Because I have something to fight for." Her mind searched her memories with Lillian, Vivid, Dove, Mya, Eleara, Ember, Fred, Draco, and many more.

With a burning fire in her eyes, she got up, struggling. She crawled onto her knees before standing on her wobbly legs and pointed her wand to her father.

"Oh... I'm not done yet." She smirked, biting her lip enough for it to begin to bleed, trying to hide the pain in her back.

"I don't want to do this to you..." His face immediately turned into regret and a hint of fear.

"YOU KILLED HER! YOU KILLED MY MOTHER IN COLD BLOOD AND EXPECT FOR ME NOT TO AVENGE HER!?" Aspen screamed, wincing as she did so.

He closed his eyes sadly, opening them before pointing his wand at his own daughter. Like in a duel, they both had the humility to bow to each other before picking up a dueling position.

Aspen attacked first, a stream of blue fire spiraling out of her wand. Her father, as surprised as he was, blocked the attack then shot a ball of purple magic towards her. She pointed her wand towards the magic, making it disintegrate once it touched her wand. Her father attacked again, this time striking her with a blast of lightning from his wand. The lightning hit her on the shoulder, causing only temporary pain before she severed its connection. She snarled, determination clouding her eyes as she rapid fired a sort of magenta magic stream. Her father blocked the first three, then was hit by the fourth shot and went spiraling back.

"Aspen... stop this..." He grumbled, getting up as Aspen realized she'd given him large cut across his face, along with his missing eye.

"No! I won't stop until I know I will be safe from you. You've hidden me in a lie for six years, father! I'm done-" She screamed.

"Stop it! You don't know what you're talking about!" Blood streamed from his eye and cut as he shouted back.

"Do I?" She asked, pushing forward. "Did I not see my mother murdered in front of me? The one, for nine years of my life, took care of me while you worked at the Ministry of Magic? Took care of me when you never even bothered to look at me? Do you know what I would give to see her one last ti-"

"Enough!" He shot a green flash of light as Aspen shot a red, both conjuring at the same time.

The green and red magic fought against each other, tilting back and fourth. The adrenaline rushed through her body, numbing the burning sensation on her back as she fought the urge to give up.

"Give in, Aspen! You're losing this battle. You've only known magic for fifteen years, I've known it for thirty-nine!" He shouted.

Tears welled in her eyes, her legs growing weak and her body wanting to give out until a voice filled her head.