Chapter 1: Seeing Him

You were screaming as the Attack Titan destroyed all of Marley. All of your home.

Life has not been easy for Eldians in Marley. They treat you like the scum you now believe you are. It was not until you met him that your beliefs about everything altered.

You are one of the most fierce students in the Warrior Unit. You have dedicated yourself to destroying the Island of Devils, as you were instructed. Everything about your life has been an instruction. From wearing the band on your arm that signified you were lesser than everyone else, to living with a foster family. Being the best warrior was the only good quality people recognized. Your other qualities did not matter in the slightest.

Not when you saved the life of your foster mother from a Marlean general, or when you gave your daily ration of food to the disheveled soldier after training when walking home. You couldn't help it though. He was sitting almost lifeless on the ground, with bloody bandages wrapped around his arms and legs. You were always going out of the way to help others. That is what Eldians were trained to do. To be humble servants.

"Here, take this." you said as approaching him. You had a loaf of bread in your hands.

He looked like he hadn't eaten in days. His hair was long, covering his eyes almost completely. He had a rather scruffy looking beard. He looked up.

"You would give that up for a stranger?" He must have known Eldians received very little food.

"You definitely need it more than me. Just take it. I have some rations at home" you lied.

As he took the bread, you saw the dark green eyes through his brown strands of hair. He had to be a year or two older than you. He looked like he has been through many years of torment. He can probably relate to you in that way.

"What battle did you just return from?" you asked the man sitting before you.

"I forget who I fight after I fight them. It makes it less painful for me to think of it that way."

You felt a pain in your chest. That was such a rude question to ask an injured soldier after a fight. Your foster family always drilled it into your head to always think of others, and to never pry. The guilt of your question overwhelmed you.

"I am sorry for asking you that. I did not mean to be rude."

The soldier sitting down began to laugh while eating your ration.

"Why would I ever be angry at someone who showed me an act of kindness like this? You were just curious. Where are my manners?" He extended a hand.

"My name is Mr. Kruger. What is yours?"

Someone showing the slightest interest to talk to you gave you an adrenaline boost that you only get when winning a battle against your peers in training.

"My name is y/n" you said with a smile and extended your hand to his. His hands were rough, as if he had been training for years. They were so big that they completely wrapped around your small hand. He did not seem to care about the Eldian band around your arm, which was extremely refreshing.

The clock struck six sounding through the entire Marlean village. You had just remembered of your curfew.

"I should get going now. They will punish me if I do not return home soon." You realized anxiously.

"I will walk you home. That is the least I can do for the food you gifted."

Mr. Kruger was being too nice. As he got up to his feet, wincing from pain, he towered over you. He was at least a foot taller than you were. You did not know how to react to someone acting kind toward you. Eldians were taught to serve and do not expect service back. It would be nice to have someone accompany you home. There were men that followed you sometimes, and that always frightened you. They never actively hurt you. Yet.

"Okay. Let's walk" you said with a smile.