Chapter 31: Red Lines

You limped in the heavy downpour towards the city. It had gotten much darker from the storm, with bolts of lightning being the main source of light.

The rain cleaned the blood off of your body, but not without a cost. It was raining so heavily that each drop on your raw skin ached. You moaned in pain as you continued forward.

You arrived into the heart of the city, but could not find the two Titans anywhere. All you could see was piles of bodies and crushed buildings. What if Eren was in one of those piles?

"Eren!" You began screaming. You started to shake so violently that your legs gave in, and you fell to your knees. Thunder cracked behind you, so loud that you could not hear for a minute afterward.

You completely forgot about pain from the droplets on your raw skin as you called Eren's name again. Over and over you called him. In between sobs and gasps, you screamed for him.

Seeing your family murdered ruthlessly had left a lasting mark on you. It was the end of the only family you knew. Those bastards never cared about me. Another set of thunders clapped at the thought.

You wanted Eren to comfort you right now. You wanted his protection. You wanted to stop being so tough when you were so weak.

You could not believe the devastation of the city. It was unrecognizable. You called Eren for what seemed like hours in the dark storm, until you began to shake. The rain was so cold, and you weren't wearing any first aid on your wounds. Between the budding hypothermia and the blood loss, you collapsed on the road.

"Eren." You repeated his name over and over again. You shivered so violently that the world was shaking with you.

You heard the Attack Titan roar in the distance. You sighed. You were in so much pain, emotionally and physically, that death was welcomed. To be trampled by the Attack Titan would be a quick death. Eren was gone. Every ounce of hope you had left shriveled into nothing. The droplets of rain persisted on you. Like it was washing your soul away.

You could feel the Earth tremble as the Attack Titan approached you. You didn't hear the War Hammer Titan anymore. It was so close that you could feel the heat radiating off of its skin.

I love you Eren. You thought as the Titan picked you up once more. You were certain you only had a few breaths until your eternal slumber.

It held you in both of its hands, making a bowl for you to lay in. The Attack Titan roared so loud that several buildings collapsed from it. You looked up to see the Attack Titan looking down at you. He was panting in fury. Smoke emitted off of him, and his eyes glowed with such brightness. Those green eyes.

Those green eyes.

No. It couldn't be. It was a coincidence that Eren and this Titan had the same color eyes. You began to sob in the Titan's hands, from fear, from pain, and from sorrow of the thousands of lost lives. The Titan just stared at you.

Something began running towards the Attack Titan at a rapid speed. You only knew this because you could feel the ground shake at this large organism was running. You closed your eyes, readily accepting your dark fate once this large being attacked the Attack Titan.

One minute you were closing your eyes in the strong hand that held you, and the next you were falling with that hand. You opened your eyes in the realization that it was severed by something.

You looked upwards to see that the Jaw Titan was biting off all of the Attack Titan's limbs. The Attack Titan watched you fall in its hand as it fought the Jaw Titan, roaring as it watched you. The Attack Titan's severed hand landed, palm upward, softening your fall. You fell out of the hand's grasp on the wet asphalt.

The Jaw Titan would save the city from further devastation. You sighed a relief as you watched the battle.

The Titans were fighting so close to you that it was certain this battle would end your life. The Jaw Titan bit off the Attack Titan's other arm, and started biting the back of his heels.

The Attack Titan never stopped watching you. It never stopped watching its footing. Almost like it was watching where it stepped, to ensure your safety.

The Attack Titan was now a bloody mess. All of its limbs were scattered on the floor. You leaned on the severed arm, hoping for death soon. Eren was gone forever. Your eyelids started to become heavy. More body parts were falling. You looked up to see the Attack Titan's dismembered head falling straight toward you. This is it.

Just then, a human crashed into you so abruptly that it took the wind right out of your chest. The push was so hard that you knocked back into a building again. The severed Attack Titan head crashed into the ground seconds later.

When you opened your eyes, Eren was before you.

"Heaven." You said. You didn't know Eldians could go to Heaven.

He smiles at you in relief, holding your face as he crashed his lips to yours, tasting blood from his wounds.

"I thought I lost you." He wept. You hugged him for a while. You pulled back, taking a good look at him.

You noticed something strange that wiped the smile off of your face.

Red lines traced from his eyes down to his cheekbones. Lines that could only mean one thing.

Eren was the Attack Titan.