Chapter 6: Realizations

"Harder!" He said as you punched his chest.

You were practice fighting behind his apartment building in the back alleyway. You were still angry at him for not allowing you to return home. The fighting is kind of therapeutic for you. He grabs you in a chokehold, breathing down your neck.

"And that is why you're not supposed to aim for the neck." You could feel his chest rising up and down on your back. You head butt into his chest. The got the wind knocked out of him.

"I know some moves myself. Don't you forget that I am the strongest in the Warrior Unit."

"That was not enough to stop that monster from attacking you." He growled.

He really hated your foster father for what he did to you. You still have one long scab on your face and many more on your back. Every time he looks at them, his eyes get an angry glow. When you brought up going back home, he dismissed the idea. It has been a week since her father's attack. She shudders to think what the punishment will receive when she returns home.

Living with Mr. Kruger has been anything but exciting. He spends most of the days out, doing God knows what. At night, they practice training. He taught her some sneak attacks, and how to escape from certain holds. When they eat together, their conversations become deeper.

"Where is your favorite place in Marley?" He asked after training that night. You had to think for a while before answering.

"There is a beautiful library in the center of town, founded by the Tibur family. Inside of it has thousands of books, with floor-to-ceiling shelves. I love reading, but I barely have time for it anymore due to the Warrior Unit".

Mr. Kruger smiled to himself, almost in an inside joke type of way.

"What? Is reading funny to you?" You asked with a sneer on your face.

"Yeah. Something like that." Sometimes he says the most confusing stuff. It seems like he is always in his head. It must be the PTSD from the battles he fought for Marley.

"I think I am going to take you home tomorrow. I have some business I need to take care of. I also want to see if my training has improved your self-defense". Your chest felt a slight pain going through it. Does he not enjoy your company anymore? You were going to miss living with Mr. Kruger. His bed was as hard as a rock, but you were now accustomed to hearing his breaths while he slept on the floor at night. Living with him has made you feel a sense of peace that you have never felt.

"What is wrong? You look like you just saw a ghost." He looked worried. You said nothing.

"I thought you wanted to go back home. Don't worry, I have a plan that will ensure your safety from your...father". He said through gritted teeth.

"There is nothing wrong." A wave of emotion swept over you. You got up and went to the bathroom, slamming the door behind you. What has gotten into you? You have never felt this anger before. This longing to be close to another person. Mr. Kruger has shown you kindness that you have never experienced before. He is quiet, but he is a sweet person. You feel protected when he is by your side, and the thought of those feelings going away made you want to crawl in a hole and never come out. You hear him approaching the bathroom door.

"Y/n. What is the matter?" He said with such gentleness it crushed you. You began to weep, sinking to the floor. He busted the locked door wide open with a swift kick. He crouched down to you.

"Look at me." He demanded. He lifted your chin.

"I am not going to let anyone lay a finger on you again. And if they do, I will know. I will make them wish they never lived." He was so close you could feel his breath on your cheek.

"I can't let you stay here alone while I am gone. This apartment is in a bad area, and the apartment lock does not work properly. If anything happened to you I would never forgive myself."

"Why do you care about me so much? I am a filthy Eldian. You should treat me like the scum I am." Tears were falling down your face. He grabbed your hands with both of his, hard.

"Don't you ever talk about yourself like that again. That infuriates me. You think so little of yourself. How I wish you could see yourself from my eyes."
That last sentence made that fire ignite in your chest again. He went on.

"As for why I care about you so much. You are amazing. You are strong, kind, brave, and fierce. I feel a need to keep you safe at all times. However, this relationship we have, it...complicates things. I need to have some space for a few days to focus on myself".

"I thought you were going on a business trip" You push him away. Anger was bubbling inside of you. He really did not want you around.

"You don't understand how badly I want you in my life. But my feelings are scaring me, y/n. I did not think I was capable of this."

He is the worst. It's not you it's me, right. You have seen enough films to know how this is going to end. You had to protect your heart, and your pride. You push him. Hard.

"Get off of me. You don't care about me. You never did. I am a distraction from whatever haunts you. At least my father did not mentally abuse me like you are doing right now." You stormed out of the bathroom. One second later, you were being pinned to the wall.

"Don't you ever fucking say that again. Don't you see? I care about you too much. You can't get wrapped up in my sick, cruel world!" He screamed in your face. You were scared at this point. And you hated him. So much for him protecting you. You kicked his groin. While he bent down in agony, you ran out the front door.