Chapter 15: Family Reunion

As you walk into your family home, you realize nothing had changed.

"The Eldian finally decided to show up." Your foster sister greeted you with sneer.

"Nice to see you too, Alma." You walked past her into the kitchen to see your mother cutting a watermelon.

"Y/n! I have missed you dearly. I have some chores that need to be done." Your foster mother said as she hugged you. You loved your mother. She was kind at times. But mostly, this family used you as their personal servant. If Mr. Kruger knew just how your family life was, he probably would not have begged you to stay. He knew about your father, but he had no idea of the existence of your sister.

"I haven't done any chores while you were gone, so you will have to do double!" Alma cackled. Your mother took you into the laundry room and you began the process of cleaning an insurmountable pile of dirty clothes. Your mother left to start lunch.

Your father would not be home for a few more hours. You wanted to retrieve some items from your room before you left again. Your favorite books were in there. Oh, how you missed reading. When you weren't doing chores or training at the Warrior Unit, you read. You were deprived of reading for more than a week and you missed them very much.

You also missed Mr. Kruger. Your chest started to feel a stabbing pain. Is this how it feels to miss someone?

You have never missed anyone like this before. His absence left your heart a dark cave. The fire in your chest was blown out, leaving the smoke as a reminder of him.

You were to see him in two days time. That was enough to ease any tension in your family and gather your belongings. Your mother called you to lunch.

"Y/n. Set the table please." Your mother commanded. Alma was sitting on the couch lazily reading a newspaper.

"Oh how I missed our Eldian servant!" Alma squealed.

"Do not call her that, Alma." Your mother said cooly while stirring a vegetable stew. You ignored Alma and set the table. Forks on the right, spoons on the left. A glass was placed to the right of the plate, which sat in front of every chair.

Your father walked in. You were not expecting him.

"I heard the news of your arrival and decided to cut my work day short." He explained while sitting at the head of the table. You walked away, grabbing some napkins from the cupboard.

"What's this?" He said looking at the table. Anger flashed in his eyes.

"W-what?" You stammered, turning around slowly.

He held up his spoon.

"Spoons are supposed to be on the right. That is bad manners, y/n. This just won't do." You turned around, disappointed with the family you had. Then, he threw the spoon as hard as he could, hitting the back of your head with such force you saw stars. You put your hands on the sink, stopping yourself from fainting.

"John! That is enough!" Your mother exclaimed. Alma just laughed on and on.

"You are a whore, y/n. No Marlean officer would ever think you are in any way special. You probably gave him all sorts of sexual gifts to make him desire scum like you. You are an Eldian. You will always be." Your father said with a sly grin.

Alma cackled. Her laughter filled the whole house.

Just then, you walked over to Alma and hit her face so hard that she flew back into the wall. Her laughter finally stopped, and you smiled from ear to ear.

"Your laugh is annoying." You said dismissively. Alma got up and started to claw for your face, but you kicked her head, knocking her out cold. Your mother was in shock.

"Y/n. How could you?" Your mother exclaimed.

Your father started towards you.

"You always treated me poorly. All of my life." You said backing away from the big man that now approached you.

"You never saw me as a daughter, or as a sister. You saw me as a filthy Eldian." You spat. Your father continued toward you. You bolted upstairs to your room. You had to at least get your books. After that, you would never come back to this place.

You locked your bedroom door behind you.

"Y/n. Come out to play with daddy." He began violently turning the doorknob. Where are my books? Then you saw it. A pile of ash sat on the floor where your books used to be.

"YOU BURNED MY BOOKS?" You screeched. Your father busted open the door with his foot.

"When you left, I took the only thing you truly loved in this house. You fucking freeloader." He growled. You kicked him in the groin, but that wasn't enough. He held your arm so tight, you thought it cracked.

"You aren't going anywhere". He said through his teeth. You head butted his head, and that slowed his attack. You opened the window, and realized how far of a jump it would be. Stupid high ceilings. And you jumped.

You landed on your feet, with your arms a cushion for your body. You quickly used both your arms and legs to get up. Your father came out of the front door and began to chase you. You screamed over and over as you ran until you realized you did not hear footsteps behind you. You turned around to see Mr. Kruger holding your father down on the ground, choking him.

"HOW DARE YOU TOUCH HER?" He was going to kill him. Your father was gasping for air. You thought of your helpless mother.

"STOP!" You gasped. Mr. Kruger seemed like he was in a trace. Like he couldn't hear you.

"It isn't worth it. Please." You didn't care about your father dying, but your mother would. She was harmless. You ran over to Mr. Kruger, trying to pull him off of your dad. He pushed you away.

"PLEASE!" You were panicking. And with that, he stopped. Your father was gasping for air.

"So you are the one who is enjoying my whore of a daughter?" Your father said in between breaths. Mr. Kruger punched him so hard after that remark that his face would be deformed forever after it. That you knew for certain. You checked to see if your father was still alive, and surely enough, he still had a pulse.

You stared at Mr. Kruger then. He was shirtless, covered in green paint, with cargo pants on. His dark green eyes glowed bright. What in the world was he doing before this? Your head started to throb. You touched the area where the spoon impacted your head and saw blood on your fingers. Great.

Mr. Kruger walked toward you, and placed one arm underneath your knees, and the other arm behind your neck. He picked you up as if you weighed one pound.

"I am always carrying you out of a disaster. You are truly a magnet for chaos." He began running toward the city where the apartment was. Your blood leaked onto his arms.

"We are going to have to fix you up right away. You will never go back there again. I should have never left you." You groaned in pain. You felt like there were knives poking at your brain.

"Why are you covered in paint?" You said, wanting a distraction.

"You will see soon enough."