Chapter 38: Calm Before the Storm

You woke up the next morning soaking wet from yesterday's storm.  You were in Eren's embrace on the soft, moist grass. You looked down at your leg to see the femur wrapped tight with Eren's clothing scraps. It felt slightly better, but the bone was still throbbing.

As for your wounds, they scabbed overnight. You knew rapid movements would cause them to rip open again.

You looked over at Eren peacefully sleeping. You arose from his embrace. You had many questions about yourself.

Why did the rain suddenly stop when your leg got cracked into place? Why did it persist and rage harder during the emotional outbursts? There must be some tie to you and these storms.

But then again, you are an Eldian. Scum of the Earth. Born to become titans and end humankind. Disgusting. The fact that you thought you were special for just a minute was shameful.

One minute you were practicing moving your leg, the next you were pinned to a tree.

"What are you doing on that leg?" Eren stared into your eyes so intensely you could see the Attack Titan through them. You tried to push him, but he wouldn't budge.

"Why do I have to answer to you? I don't owe you anything. You're the reason I am like this!" I pointed down to my entire body, covered in gashes, bruises, and now a wrap for a broken femur.

He held onto you tighter. Your wrists were wrapped inside of his large hands, veins protruding out of them. He touched his forehead to yours.

"I will never forgive myself for that."

And that's all he said. He kissed your cheeks, then your neck.

"I am sorry baby."

He went down to every scab and bruise and grazed his lips on them, kissing them ever so slowly.

"I thought you were safe."

It felt amazing. Like someone rubbing a tense back.

He let go of your wrists and gently held your leg, kissing the wrap slowly. He kept repeating apologies And your name. And how much he loves you.

"Eren, stop." You whispered. He looked up at you.

He brought his hands under your neck and legs and brought you to the grass, where a makeshift bed of palm leaves and moist soil lay for you. It was curved in a way that promoted healing and blood flow. You only knew this because of the training. You had basic knowledge about healing.

He laid you down on it, slowly. Carefully. As if you would break any minute.

He sat next to you, looking down at your face.

"Eren. I have a lot of questions." He was slowly grazing your face with his large, callused fingertips. You continued.

"I don't want you to lie. I deserve the truth." Your whole relationship was a lie. But his fingers felt nice on your face. You didn't pull away. Plus, you had information you needed to know.

"I will answer everything 100% honestly. I promise, y/n."