17. madelynn

The town of White Sands, just west of Hillside, is a quaint little beach town with cute small business's along the sea front that sell small holiday bits like anklets, sunglasses and hats and many surfers enjoy the rippling waves that the ocean he...

The town of White Sands, just west of Hillside, is a quaint little beach town with cute small business's along the sea front that sell small holiday bits like anklets, sunglasses and hats and many surfers enjoy the rippling waves that the ocean here has to offer. Not many tourists know about White Sands as they tend to stick to the more common towns in California to spend their summers, although I quite enjoy the fact that the beaches aren't packed with families and you don't have to wait ages for a table to become available in a restaurant.

Me and my family would visit White Sands sometimes, my father grew up in a town nearby so as a kid he spent a lot of time at the beach here and was desperate to take us here and soon as we were all old enough to walk and talk. One of my first memories of the beach was here actually, my mom had packed a picnic and my older brother had brought his bucket and spade and wanted to teach me how to build a sandcastle, I was only around the age of five so my younger sister wasn't yet born. We'd set off at eight in the morning with the idea of spending the entire day down on the sand, my dad was so excited and he took me into the sea. I remember being petrified but he held onto me tight and we bobbed along with the waves together. The picture we all took is still framed above our fireplace to this day, we got one of the lifeguards to take it for us, my mom is holding me on her hip whilst my dad has his hand on my brother's shoulders and we're all smiling at the camera happily. We went there most summers after that until my mom passed, we haven't been back since.

I pull into a parking space along the beach front and slip my oversized sunglasses over my face, taking my phone out from my bag and scrolling until I find Brayden's contact information.

Me:
you here?

With a loud sigh, I shut off the engine and relax back into the leather seats. Being here in White Sands is bringing back so many memories and it makes me feel like Brayden has purposley asked to meet me here for that exact reason. He didn't want to go to one of the coffee shops back in Hillside like I had suggested, he instead sent me an address to a little cafe down here that our parents would take us too when they wanted a coffee break and we would get these gigantic milkshakes with whipped cream and strawberries.

Brayden:
already got us a seat by the window, your'll see when u come in.

Stepping out of the car, I pick my bag up from it's position in the passenger seat and lock up my Range Rover. I walk through the bustling streets and head for 'Club Coffee', it isn't hard to miss with it's floreusent red exterier and the heaps off colourful flowers sat in the window ledges, it looks like a rainbow and I remember that being the main reason it got mom's attention.

The little bell chimes when I walk through the door and I spot my older brother immediately, he's sat with his back to me and two milkshakes sit on the table waiting for me.

"Hey" I say as I approach him, sliding into the seat opposite and placing my bag on the back of the chair. I instantly reach for the strawberry shake and take a sip from the bright pink straw. "Thanks for the drink"