21. ashton

Amidst my mother's nervous rambling, I chuckle lightly and attempt to withhold an exasperated sigh

"Mom, seriously relax" I start from my seat at the table, watching her fuss about the sausages being slightly overcooked. After my flight was delayed heavily last night, it was about two in the morning before I made it to my family home, crawling straight into bed and not paying my luggage a second thought. Even though I've lived with the woman for seventeen years, I mistakingly forgot my mother is a very big morning person, she pulled open my blinds at eight on the dot and demanded I be at the table in fifteen minutes for family breakfast. The clock has just ticked eight and she's steering herself towards an early heart attack, there's eggs - scrambled and boiled - sausages, pancakes, bacon and toast with butters, jams and marmalades littering the table, and that's only the buffet section, she's also got a continental to the side with cereals, oats and pastries.

Hazel Miller sighs once again, placing the crispy sausages on the table and pulling a seat up opposite me. "I'm sorry, darling. I just wanted the first breakfast with you home to be perfect and you know what it's like getting us all together at the same time-"

"- mom, you've done a great job" I pause, looking at the actual feast before me. "In fact, I think you've got enough to feed every other family on our floor"

She chuckles before clapping loudly. "Well, dig in everyone!"

My younger sister Avery immediatley reaches for a helping of scrambled eggs along with some toast that she begins buttering herself, my father finally puts his newspaper down and heads for the continental instead and reaches for a croissant and a bowl of cereal. My mom eyes my empty plate, I don't typically eat breakfast this quickly after waking up but to avoid her disappointed eyes I grab a bit of everything from the table, she seems satisfied and only then does she start adding things to her own plate.

"So, son" My dad starts from his seat beside mom. "I heard you won the meet, how did it go?"

My parents were delighted when I facetimed them to tell them the good news, my mom couldn't wipe the smile from her face during the entire call and my dad just kept asking question after question.

"Yeah, it was good" I nod, taking a bite from a piece of bacon. "Our next one is like a month and a half away and I think the college is out of state"

My mom perks up at this. "So you could be flying to another state?"

"Potentially, coach hasn't really told us much about it yet"

My father nods, pushing his spoon around his bran flakes. "Your technique looked good in the video you sent over"

Kingsley had gotten quite a good angle of my 100 free and the relay, he had to block about three people's views to achieve it but the video looks good so I can't complain. My dad likes to act like he knows a lot about swimming but really he just researched into it when I was young and preferred to be in a pool instead of kicking a ball around with my friends, his done quite well and we can have genuine conversations about the sport with him being able to understand but there's definitely a line and sometimes when I cross it, he get's muddled.