23. ashton

Pushing open the doors to freedom, I breathe in the fresh California air as I descend further away from the lecture hall and towards the local coffee shop on campus

Pushing open the doors to freedom, I breathe in the fresh California air as I descend further away from the lecture hall and towards the local coffee shop on campus. My second to last class of the day with Mr Dudley was brutal, he had us researching for the entire duration of the class and annotating paragraphs and all sorts, I'm solely a business major but one of my elective classes is creative writing, it was my mom's idea for me to take at least one english class and I caved after her constant nagging and figured creative writing would be my best bet, the class itself isn't too bad but Mr Dudley has a knack for draining every last bit of fun out of it. He's a balding fourty something year old man with a gigantic beer belly and an issue with wearing the same shirt a few too many days in a row.

Joel's isn't as busy as I originally thought it was going to be, after placing my order at the till I manage to snag a seat by the window. I pull out the assigment Mr Dudley has just given to us and read through the brief carefully, I wasn't planning on starting it now but what his asked of us isn't too difficult so I may as well get it out of the way now. The cute barista that myself and the boys check out every time we're here brings me over my hot coffee, after thanking her and setting the mug down on the table, I pull a pen out from my pocket and begin writing a few things down on the sheet.

Although ten minutes later and I realise I've only managed to write my name, today's date and one sentence on the actual task. My hand is itching to check my phone to see if Maddy has either seen my messages or actually responded to any of them but I know I shouldn't, after I ended the phone call on her the other week we haven't really spoken. Today is the first day back from spring break, it's the first day of classes and the start of a new semester, I figured she'd be over it and ready to start fresh along with the fresh term, however I was obviously wrong.

My two weeks spent in Manhattan were rocky, I was stressed out knowing that she was upset enough to leave her family home and travel back to her Hillside apartment alone, along with the added fact that I couldn't travel to be with her since my family haven't seen me in months and were enjoying spending time with me, not that Maddy would have appreciated me flying thousands of miles to be there for her. I understand that she handles things differently to me, she pushes people away and runs from her problems instead of facing them head on and it's what she's doing right now, instead of ranting to me and letting out how she's feeling, she fought with me over the phone and hasn't spoken to me in about two weeks.

I miss her, and not just the sex - although I do miss that too - I physically miss Madelynn. When Kingsley rang me to fill me in on what happened to her, my heart physically ached for Mads. I'm lucky in the sense that my parents are still together and very much in love, I couldn't imagine my mother not being around and then my father moving on with a new woman and not even telling me. It was cruel and insensitive and I know how defensive Maddy is over her mother, she's incredibly passionate in sticking up for her mom so I can only imagine how hurt she is right now.

Glancing up when I notice a figure hovering beside my table, I smile when I realise it's Amity. "Sit" I motion towards the empty chair opposite me and she wordlessly hangs her bag around the back of the chair and takes a seat, placing her iced frappuccino on the surface between us.