8. madelynn

"How's Maisie?"

"How's Maisie?"

I twirl the gluten-free spaghetti around my fork and lift it to my mouth, careful not to spill any of the steaming pasta down my white dress and cause possible first-degree burns. I had looked up easy pasta recipes earlier and found this one which needed near to no difficult ingredients and I must say, it's definitely one of my new favourites. Amity usually cooks the most and is definitely the better cook out of the three of us, Kendall will order a pizza and call that a five star meal. When I used to live at home, our family chef would cook us everything so I never needed to lift a finger in the kitchen, however now I've been thrown into the world of independence, I've needed to quickly learn how to fend for myself.

My father's tired face appears in the camera as he seats himself back at his desk. My laptop is currently placed on the glass dining table in front of me as I tuck into my dinner, I always make sure to call my dad at least once a fortnight and have my dinner as we catch up on everything.

"She's good, excited about being in sixth grade"

I chuckle at my dad's words and take a sip from my glass of water as he carries on speaking about my little sister's excitement about school. I always worry about Maisie, she's a quiet kid and she chose a public school over a private one, which isn't necessarily a problem but because she's so reserved I always worry people will use her for her wealth.

"Good to hear" I smile, twirling some more spaghetti around my fork. "And what about you, how are you doing?"

My father smiles tiredly, the stress lines more prominent on his face since the last time I saw him at Christmas. I know he works long hours either in his office at work or his home office, and I think they're starting to show on his demeanor. My father has always strived to provide us with the most comfortable lifestyle and a worry free future where we will never have to stress about financial troubles and of course I will forever be grateful for him. However, my father is fourty five now and majority of his friends and former colleagues have already retired or are thinking about early retirement, since their jobs allow them to do so. Although, I don't see my father giving up his job anytime soon.

"I'm doing good, princess" he smiles, taking a sip from his coffee mug. "How's your classes been this semester?"

Aside from the back-to-back essays Mrs Sultan has been handing out for fun, my classes have actually been enjoyable. I shouldn't be so surprised since English has been my passion since I was young, but college has an annoying tendency to suck all the fun out of your once favourite classes and make you dread attending lectures.

"They've been good" I reply, shoveling the last of the pasta into my mouth. "Stressful at times, but good nonetheless"

He smiles proudly, holding his coffee mug close to his suit clad chest. Matthew Wells is never not in a suit, even on his very rare days off, he'll still be in some sort of sleek shirt and dress pants. I believe it's because he's always worked ever since he was young and now he's just used to waking up in the morning and slipping into a suit like it's second nature.