18. ashton

The day of the swim meet is finally here

The day of the swim meet is finally here. The day coach has been preparing us for for weeks on end has finally arrived, I wasn't nervous to begin with since I'm used to this kind of environment but now we don't have Carson, the apprehension for the day ahead has definitely kicked in. Speaking to my mom this morning helped a little, it's a ritual for her to call me the morning of my swim meets when she can't attend herself, it's a little difficult with the time difference but she makes it work. I think it's for her benefit more than mine but I never tease her about it as I know how much it means to her.

I step out of my car and lock it before heading into the leisure centre, the boys wished me good luck this morning before promising to be there to watch and support. Apart from Carson obviously, he looks a lot better then he did a few days ago but he's still on his 'come down' and I don't think coach would even want him to be here anyway. I know it secretly crushes Grey that he can't be here to support but it's definitely for the best that he stays at home.

You can feel the anticipation and adrenaline when you walk into the changing rooms, the boys are mostly ready to go and are all chanting words of support to one another. Typically I'd be walking in here with a big grin on my face as Carson cheers along with them, but I can't help but feel a little glum this time round.

"Yo, Miller!" I dump my bag on my usual spot on the bench before turning my head to the right, Danny Collins heads over with a smile. "You feeling okay?" he pauses, scratching the side of his head in slight uncomfort. "You know, since Grey isn't here and that"

"Yeah, man" I shrug, slipping my sneakers off. "It's a little weird but coach had to do what was best for the team, Carson knows that too"

Danny nods slowly before patting my back. "Well good luck out there bro, bring it home for CSU"

With a chuckle I nod in amusement as the red head retreats back to his bench, I quickly undress leaving me in my navy speedo's. I fucking hate them, always have, and if I could have it my way I'd be swimming in my boxer briefs over these fucking things. I grab my matching navy swim cap and slip it onto my head, ensuring all my brown locks are neatly tucked away into the uncomfortable material. Lastly I reach for my goggles, another thing I can't stand. I'm one of those freaks who swim with there eyes open underwater and I hate the feeling of goggles covering my eyes, well that and the fuck off red mark they leave on my face.

"Right, fella's" I hear coach call from the entrance to the male changing rooms, I sling my towel over one shoulder and stuff my clothes into my locker before heading round the corner so coach is in my eye line. "We've been working our fucking ass's off for this moment, we're already a man down and I don't want that to affect your technique today. You bring your A game and you beat those motherfuckers, you hear me?"

The room erupts in cheers and chants from my fellow teammates as we follow coach out to the main area. The sunlight streams through the large windows onto the pool making it look almost sparkly. Immediately my eyes land on the benches and my eyes almost pop out of my fucking head to see Madelynn sitting on the row, beside Kendall, Amity, Micah and Kingsley. She's mid-conversation with Micah and I take in the way her eyes light up as he says something she clearly agrees with, her mouth opens wide as she grins at him and uses her hands in expression as she excitedly explains something back. Sammy Gomez nudges me forward from behind which gets me moving, I send him an apologetic smile and sneak one final look at Maddy before sitting at our designated area.