thirty three

december 10th, 2021

paige

I think I had spent more time in this small studio in New York than I had at my own home in the past two weeks.

Every morning, I was awake by nine at the latest and either coming in from Harry's house or getting up off of the black couch in the recording booth and shoving my head back into the brown leather book that held all of my plans for the tour.

The first week was spent going over different songs that I could cover and trying different combos and genres before we finally found a good blend of music for my set list.

3 originals and 4 covers.

It had taken longer than I thought it would have to figure all that out. It was hard seeing as I didn't really have a "sound" yet. I'm kind of doing a melting pot of styles and genres to try and find what I like and don't like and what sounds good for me. So far I'm liking the more rock influenced stuff and a few ballads here and there.

The more time we spent putting things together and finalizing plans the more real everything felt.

And the more excited I felt.

I was terrified at first, and honestly still am, but I'm feeling good watching all the pieces fall into place.

The band was working really well together and we all got on like we had been friends for years.

I was a little worried about becoming friends with all of them because for the most part that had already known each other pretty well before all this, but they had all been so welcoming and nice.

Katie and Celeste are both incredibly kind and the three of us really got on well. We would stay at the studio working until one in the morning and then stay till three just laughing and drinking cheap wine we had gotten at the corner shop. Katie and I had really bonded and found that we write really well together. We came up with some good melodies and she was really good at helping me write out some of the more ballad-y type songs.

Finn was a really talented writer as well and had really been helping me alot with cleaning up my stuff and giving me new ideas. I was in the studio at around two in the morning, like most nights, and he had come back because he had left his wallet here. He came over to me sitting on the couch with my hands in my hair, frustrated because I wasn't happy with one of the songs I had written and couldn't figure out how to fix it. He had gone over to the cabinet in the corner and grabbed the bottle of tequila, taken a swig and handed it to me. He said sometimes when he was writing stuff, he just had to let loose sometimes and get out of his own head. We had taken a few shots before both of us had ended up doubled over laughing on the floor at some stupid phone on Twitter.

After our fit, we had just started messing around on some of the instruments in the studio and he had come up with a pretty cool beat and I had been fiddling around on the guitar and out popped a song. We had completely scratched the original and in its place was born a tune of good times and fun. From that night on, Finn and I had gotten closer and would have a few of those late night writing sessions, sometimes involving tequila.

Lance had been great too. No matter how stressed I got or how much I got in my head, he would have this positive energy surrounding him that was infectious. He was always able to make a smile crack on my face when my brows were furrowed in concentration and my lips turned down in distress.

"I think this list is pretty solid," Lance says from his seat on the arm of the couch.

I had noticed that for whatever reason, he always seemed to perch himself on the arm of the couch and never the cushion.