7.

:o

Josh's pov   🤯

"He's like a curious cat, filthy animals if you ask me but he doesn't understand anything. He steals, hide things, and breaks things-"

"I asked about his education, not what you think about him," I interrupt Hannah.

"We don't know, he has no record," she says flatly.

"Well what about his social abilities? Does he have friends? Family? Something? He just sits in his room all day every day," I say trying to keep myself from yelling at my coworker. Nobody here is any help.

Why would you work at a place like this if you don't care about the people here? It doesn't make any sense to me. I work here because I enjoy helping people.

"No, he showed up on our steps confused and needing help so we took him in," she says.

"Well how long has it been? Nobody has came to check on him?" I interigate her with questions about Oli.

"Two years or so? I don't know," she says and I frown. Nobody has came back for him in all that time? I sigh and dismiss her.

The month I've been here I've worked with lots of people but my main concern is the cute brunette full of tattoos. The patients here all have very serious disabilities and almost have no thought processes or common sense.

Oliver on the other hand seems... Different. He has a learning disability but he seems to understand a lot of what I say. I've seen him get lost a lot but he has potential. I might be able to get him out of here and into a better place.

If he could just communicate then I could get him to sign the paperwork to get him released and I can take him to my old work. It's a smaller place but everyone is really nice and the patients are easier to understand and get along with. He could make friends and maybe after a while learn enough to go be able to actually do something with his life.

I believe that he can get better.

I'm a realistic guy- or I like to think I am- I know almost everyone here belongs here, they can't function without 24/7 help but Oli doesn't need that. He just needs a little assistance with the harder stuff like showering and cooking.

Most of the people here can't even eat or walk. It's really sad and I try to help them the best I can but those people can't ever have a normal life. Oli might be able to and if it's possible i'll make it happen.

I put the Chinese take out in the microwave and press thirty seconds before leaving my office. It's dinner time so I'm going to go find Oliver like I normally do at this time.

I pass by the cafeteria and look in just in case he forgot about me and went here. He's not in here but Hailey is here and sees me. I'm not in a rush so I go over to her but she doesn't jump up and tackle me in a hug like normal.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I ask her as she stares at me with no hint of recognition. My feelings get a little hurt but I know it's not her fault.

"Who are you?" She asks loudly with no concept of a level voice.

"Mr. F, remember? I see you every day to color," I say but she pushes me back and runs over to her friends and starts playing with the other kids.

Tomorrow she'll not remember this and be back to the happy bubbly people she is. She has meltdowns a lot and has a long list of health and mental issues. She says he favorite thing to do is color with me.

It puts a damper on my mood that she forgot about me but this isn't the first time this had happened.

While walking to Olivers room I here Danny yelling insults. I go towards the noise and when I see him dragging a crying and fighting Oliver. "Let go of his fucking hair!" I yell at Danny making him look over at me.