20: Court Dates

Lisa inhaled and exhaled slowly, as she was sitting in a room, quietly. The window was closed and the room was warm. There was a peacefully sleeping Chaeyoung on the other side of the bed. Lisa had her phone in front of her with her e-mail open. There was a new message that was displayed on her screen. It read: Emancipation application accepted. Court date for official agreements and adjustments is stated below. Please download the official letter PDF.

She didn't know what to do. Something that she has been waiting for is actually around the corner. In one week time, she will be emancipated and have no relations at all with her parents, besides sharing the DNA. This was an important event in her life. She couldn't come back from this. She picked up her phone and dialled James number. "Hey, sorry calling so early. I need you to take me somewhere." She told him, briefly and hanged up afterwards.

"Are you leaving?" Chaeyoung asked, when she open her eyes due to the movement in her room. She sat on the bed, watching Lisa taking off her pyjamas and putting on normal clothes. Chaeyoung knew something has been bothering Lisa ever since a couple of hours ago. Chaeyoung looked at her phone and saw that it was only 7:09am.

"I have to go somewhere. I will call you once I get home. Yesterday's sleepover was the best. Thank you for being my friend." Lisa said sitting at the edge of the bed. Chaeyoung leaned forward and hugged her friend, really tight. She hoped that Lisa wouldn't have to suffer much in her life anymore. For a teenager, Lisa had a tired looking expression most of the time and her body slouched a lot, as if she is carrying the world on her shoulders.

"No, thank you for giving me the chance to be your friend." Chaeyoung whispered to Lisa and pulled away slowly. Lisa messed around with Chaeyoung's hair and stood up to leave. She grabbed her phone and left her friend's house in the utmost sadness.

James was parked outside, waiting for Lisa. He rushed as much as he could, to make sure Lisa was okay. He was worried about her and would do anything to make sure she is comfortable. When Lisa entered the car, he turned around, facing her. "What's going on? Are you alright? Do we need to go to the clinic?" He asked checking her out and touching her arm gently.

"I'm fine. I just need you to take me to see my mom. I need to see her one last time before..." Lisa was saying but she trailed off due to the thoughts that kept bombarding her mind. That woman would stop being her mother after 1 week. That woman who ruined Lisa's life, no longer would be considered as a mother.

"Have they set a court date?" James asked and Lisa nodded in response. "Alright, alright. I will take you there. Don't worry." James drove off and Lisa stayed the whole ride silent. She has only been to visit her mother once. She doesn't like the atmosphere in there, it scares her and it is a place she doesn't want to be in it.

James parked in front of the main gate, where he had to show his ID and tell them their reason for visitation. Since Lisa is over 16, they allowed her go inside, but James was told to wait outside. First they scanned her for any unauthorized objects, then they made her leave her phone and wrist watch and earrings. After they were done checking her, they gave her a visitor pad and told her to wait for her turn.

Lisa played around with her fingers, hoping her conversation with her mother wouldn't last long. They placed her inside the visitors room, where she was alone for about 10 minutes. She didn't really like talking to her mother about anything. Lisa started humming inside her head, until she heard the door open wide. "Lisa Manoban?"

She didn't understand why the officer had to ask for Lisa Manoban, when she was the only one in the waiting room. "Here" She responded standing up abruptly. Her legs were tired, she didn't get enough sleep last night, but she was still here.

Lisa followed the officer through a narrow hall, until they arrived to a mini telephone booth, where her mother was waiting for her, sat tightly on her chair. Lisa looked at her and sighed out of frustration, before sitting down, to face her mother. The only thing that separated them was the glass between them. Her mother picked up the phone and Lisa did the same.

"Look at you. You look exactly like me when I was your age." She told Lisa, who could swear her eyes rolled to the back of her mind, alone. That was the cheesiest thing she has ever heard in her life.

"No I don't. Don't make up bullshit like that." Lisa said to her and her mother cleared her throat embarrassed. What else did she expect from Lisa? Smiles and loads of I love you's?

"What are you doing here? Are you finally going to forgive me and we can finally be a mother and daughter?" Lisa closed her eyes for a second, because she couldn't take her mother seriously. She had to go straight to the point, or else her mother would keep talking rubbish.

"In order for someone to receive forgiveness, they have to be sorry. I don't even see an ounce of guilt on your face, mother. Maybe because you aren't guilty at all." Lisa told her and her mother slouched her shoulders. She wasn't ready to hear the truth from Lisa. That is why she enjoyed the fact that her daughter never visited.

"If you came here to offend me, then you can leave." Her mother said, ready to stand up.

"Don't worry, I won't stay long. I just came to tell you that the court date for my emancipation is next week. You and dad have to be present, to sign off your parental rights. If you don't show up, you get more years added on your life sentence and dad gets put away for a year and half. Can you imagine not seeing each other for that long?" Lisa had to bite her lower lip, to contain her urge to start crying.

Her mother slammed her hand on the glass and stared at Lisa with anger. "You actually went through with it? You know what, fine! I never wanted to be your mother, you ungrateful twat. You are the worst thing that has happened to me and your father!"

"Meanwhile, I would rather be dead than to have you guys as my parents. But wait a minute, you tried to kill me but it didn't work. Looks like I should have let you finish the job!" Lisa yelled and the officer showed up by the entrance to give her a sign to calm down.

"You are going to hell!" Her mother yelled pointing at Lisa.

"I will save you a seat." Lisa responded with disgust displayed on her face. Her mother gasped in disbelief. "You should never consider yourself as a mother. You are not even a proper human being! What type of person tries to kill her own daughter for money?! Now look at you! You've got nothing but 90 years waiting on your dead ass, you piece of shit!" Lisa hanged up the phone and stood up from the chair.

She walked away from the room and walked past the narrow hallway, into the waiting room. Lisa doesn't remember the last time she cried this much, but after her talk with her mother, she could flood the whole room with her tears. "I hate you." She whispered to herself, thinking about her mother. In one week from today, she was parentless. And she would never have to see them again.

***

A/N: RS1 IS COMING !!!!!!! SNKSKDJEKRJSKDKHDOEIDKEKSK