ii

"Okay, that's gonna be all for today! Thank you so much for all the subs, the donations, all the bits, all the support and everything, everyone! It means a lot, you guys are so cool. Niki's gonna keep streaming, so I'm gonna go raid her, enjoy her stream! I'll be there for like half an hour just chatting, maybe a bit longer, so see you there! Love you all, and remember to food and water and all that shit. Bye-ee!"

Chat:
Person780: BYEEEEEEE
Person044: bye love u!
Person126: toodle pip our queen <3

I wave at my facecam one more time, then click on the 'End Stream' button and close all my tabs. I lean back and breathe out. Wow. That was crazy. In the space of, what, one and a half hours, I spoke to three- four if you include Tommy-someone-or-other at the start- incredibly famous streamers, hit my sub goal and had much more fun than I'd had all summer.

If only real life people were as cool as online ones.

I hear the familiar ringtone of a Discord call coming from my second monitor. "Well, here we go again," I mutter, my eyelids drooping slightly, and click 'Accept'.

"Hey, Niki!" I say brightly. "How are you? It's been a while!"

She laughs softly, a clicking mouse punctuating  the sound of her voice. "Hey, Red. We've just finished up with the Minecraft stuff and now we're just chatting and all that."

"Cool, like a Q and A type thing?" I ask, my bright red gaming chair rotating slightly at my movement.

"Kinda, I guess. We could do that. Chat?" After a few seconds, she adds, "Yep, they want a Q and A."

"Okay, hit us with it," I say, resting my elbows on my desk. "Questions, questions, questions. Fire away."

"Okay, for both of us, do people you know in real life know about your streaming?"

"You go first," I say, draining my can of Sprite.

"Well, yeah, most of my friends know I'm a streamer. Some of them watch me, which is a bit weird, but, uh, usually I stick to my online friends when I'm talking about streaming," she says. "Oh, and thanks for the five gifted, wow!"

I laugh at her always-unrelenting kindness, shaking the can of fizzy drink to try and get out as much as I can.

"Okay, I know it's weird, but the only people who know about my streaming are my family. And even they don't care that much. My parents don't really tell anyone - I don't really want them to anyway - and uh, my sister doesn't really care about it. So no, none of my friends know. I kinda wanna keep my online life separate from my actual life, you know?"

"Yeah, I get that," Niki says. "Ooh, we have another one. From someone you know."

"Sooo, TommyInnit asked if your real name is Red?"

I laugh. "Why is that idiot in your chat? No, it's not actually. My real first name is Meredith, and because I have red hair I tell people to call me Red. But mostly only my online friends get to call me that. You hear that, Tommy? Friends. You have to call me Meredith, dickhead."

Niki chuckles. "Someone said you're like that Disney Princess, Princess Merida or something."

"Ah yes, I am such a princess after all," I snigger with a hair flick, finally giving up with the Sprite - there's definitely none left.

"I mean, technically I am some kind of princess, because you're like my mum, and you're a queen."

"Aww, thanks Red!" she giggles. "Oh, uh, Tommy replied."

"What did he say?"

"Fuck off."

"Good for him. Any more questions?"