xx

The boy's jaw drops in astonishment.

"Red?! Bu- wh- this- huh?!"

We stare at each other, wide-eyed, confused.

He coughs. "Well. This... this is..."

"Yeah..." I laugh awkwardly.

What. The fuck.

"Oi." A girl dashes down the stairs behind him, breaking our gaze and the awkward silence. She stands on tiptoe to see over his head, hazel eyes twinkling cheekily. Her tangled brown hair sits in a messy bun atop her head and her outfit is the opposite of her brother's, her bright yellow-and-white striped t-shirt standing out beside his dark navy sweats.

When she catches sight of my sister beside me, who is fiddling anxiously with the edge of her top, her eyes light up. "Annie!"

"Hey, Lani!" All signs of nervousness disappear from Annie's lightly-freckled face as she sees her best friend in the doorway.

"C'mon in!" Lani shoves her brother to the side and reaches a hand out to her; he staggers dramatically, throwing his palm to his forehead.

"You almost knocked me over!" he exclaims.

"Oh, sorry, I think I forgot to care."

She flashes him a sweet, fake-innocent smile, before taking Annie's hand and yanking her inside the house. Their bright voices echo through the hallway as they run upstairs.

Tubbo looks back round at me, shaking his head in bemusement. "Siblings, am I right?"

"Pfftt, tell me about it."

Our eyes meet. "So..."

"So..." he echoes, hands in his pockets.

"You're..."

He grins and gestures for me to go on. "I'm..."

"Pretty damn short."

His eyebrows shoot upwards. "Wow, thanks. I think."

"Hey, you're pretty lucky to be graced with my presence in the first place, Tubbo Underscore."

He mimes turning away and shutting the door in my face before laughing and looking back at me.

"Hey, you wanna..." He waves his hands about. "You know. Go somewhere. Away from them." He points over his shoulder, where we can hear shrieks of laughter floating down the stairs from our sisters.

"Yeah, alright." I straighten up. "What, like, to the beach?"

"Sounds good!" He grabs a pair of shoes, and starts to hop out of the house while putting them on.

"Ooh, we can build rock castles!" I say excitedly, forgetting myself for a second.

"R-rock castles?" His face looks so much like the Twitch 'weirdchamp' emote that I nearly burst into peals of giggles. Instead I hold my ground, crossing my arms grumpily as we walk down the street.

"Well, it's a pebbly beach, no sand, innit?" I grumble.

"'A pebbly beach, innit?'" he mocks, laughing. "You're such a child."

I do a double take. "Excuse me? I'm the child here?" I lean one of my arms on his shoulder, the other on my hip. "Ooh, I'm Tubbo, I'm so tiny and short and baby, aww, look at me."

"Stop!" he groans, shaking me off and standing on tiptoe. Unfortunately for him, his battered supermarket trainers don't increase his height by much. Smirking, I copy him, showing off my height, and he play punches my arm.