xxix

"Okay, well, that's enough Hypixel for one night. If I keep going then I'm gonna end up with more than just a spilled can of Sprite." I motion to the sticky mess on the right of my desk, the result of my aggressive raging after my Bedwars teammate wasted all our savings on a fucking alarm trap.

"It was really great to talk to all of you! I hope you have a great day or night, and..." I pause. "Keep an eye on Twitter. Just... check your notifications later, that's all."

Chat:
Person665: UM GIRL WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN
Person109: YOU WHAT
Person783: 🤨🤨🤨

The chat is the most active it's been all stream, skyrocketing across my screen, but I ignore it with a muted smirk as I wave at my camera. "Bye guys! I love you!" Blowing one last kiss, I click the 'End Stream' button and let my body slump in my chair.

Unfortunately, that moment of peace is rudely interrupted by a repetitive chiming coming from my phone.

Sighing, I grab it, and swipe right.

"What do you want, tiny man?"

"I'm outside your house."

"Oh-em-gee, my first stalker! So fun!"

"Shut up. Oh, I see your sister. She's waving at me." A gust of wind. "I waved back. She's so cool."

"Okay, just to prove I'm the better ginger, I'm coming down." I peel back one side of the curtain shrouding my window, and sure enough, in the murky evening sunlight, Tubbo is standing with a tight frown outside a car, his phone pressed to his ear.

"Why are you standing like you need to take a piss? All my neighbours are gonna think you're so weird."

"Well maybe, Twitch-dot-TV-slash-Redical, I do need to piss." He's subtly hobbling from foot to foot now, and the expression on his face is so hilariously genuine that I take pity on him.

"Fine. Let me grab my stuff."

"Did you get the goods?"

"If you mean seven cans of Pringles, a pack of chocolate chip cookies and the Skittles you so graciously requested, then yes."

"Hurry up, then. We'll miss the train."

"It's okay. I can run like Sonic."

By now I've reached the front door. With my free hand I shove the handle down and haul it open, and as soon as the gap is wide enough Tubbo shoots through like an enthusiastic puppy, challenging who might be the real Sonic.

"First door on the right!" I call after him, then head outside, shrugging the strap of my backpack back up from where it's slipping off my shoulder.

"Hi!" An older man steps out from behind the boot of the car. "You must be Red! Or Meredith? Is it Meredith?"

"Red's fine." I smile up — well, down — at the cheery-faced man, the initial nerves coiled in my stomach immediately dissipating at his friendliness.

"Right, good. I'm Tubbo's dad, nice to meet you! You, uh..." He glances behind me. "Are your parents around? Just to check contact details and all the boring stuff."

"Oh, um..." My fingers twitch. "My dad... I can give you his phone number? He's not around right now but he'll be home from work in a bit."

"Oh." He looks surprised. "Will your sister be okay on her own?"

"She'll be fine. He won't be long." I pause. "I don't think."

"Oh! All right then!" He claps his hands together. "Let's get your stuff loaded up while my son... takes his time in there."