Chapter 24- Cautionary

Chapter 24

Cautionary

.:+:.

... I should have walked away ...

... I shouldn't have refused...

... If I hadn't... Then you wouldn't have been... Dragged into it...

... You wouldn't... Have been forced to... If I had just...

.:+:.

... Maybe... This isn't so bad.

She hopped down to the next level of the fire escape with grace, her paws hitting the cold grated metal with a soft thump, but little else.

... I mean... He still irks me with his childish behavior sometimes...

... And his stupid pervy comments...

... And his constant chatter...

... Ugh.

She jumped down to the next level, balancing delicately on the thin metal railing this time around.

... I don't think him irking me is ever gonna go away, but...

... He's not... Making me as angry as he was before...

... I think he's trying not to push it so much, and that helps...

She paused, looking over the edge of the railing and toward the next, and last, level of the fire escape that brought her almost level with the roof of the building beside it. Her ears fell back against her head as she settled onto her haunches a bit, her tail twitching behind her.

... I still feel on edge about... All the personal stuff... And him asking questions...

... Of course I do... I'm nowhere near a place where... I wouldn't be... But...

... Just generally?

... I think I've mellowed out too... Which is weird... Honestly...

... I don't feel... So tense all the time, when he's around... When we're just working it's... Kinda content...?

She sighed, the breath escaping her much more like a mew than it did a regular sigh.

It wasn't just with Hawks, though with the Winged Hero it was much more noticeable than anything else- given he'd been pretty persistent these last few days with his 'popping in for Patrol'. It had only been three days of popping in, thus far, after he'd gotten back from his break from getting hurt with the Explosion Villain in Heiku- but he'd been around for all three days (despite her telling him not to pop up everyday). It was something of a small mercy he didn't seem to be pissing her off as much as he usually could, otherwise she probably would have told him to get lost by now- but no, he wasn't making her so angry at all.

We've mellowed out... Which again, a little weird

She and Hawks had done little of consequence the last three days, there hadn't been any big incidents or accidents to contend with- Heiku had gone back to it's relative quiet, the odd occurrences of the likes of the Shadow and Explosion Villains not being seen again just yet. They'd helped out with a few random things, like a car upending a traffic light one day, helping evacuate an apartment building with a gas leak, and a few various bits of vandalism, or small time theft in convenience stores. None of it was hard, and really either one of them could have easily handled things all on their own- but they worked together regardless, lending a hand here and there, being productive- and getting everything resolved and done with in record time. Generally they were so lacking in things to do they'd settled into just walking around and keeping an eye out- which is when Hawks got the into being all chatty (and therefore irked her the most).