Chapter 26- Like

Chapter 26

Like

.:+:.

Pitch

It looked like tar splattered against the floor... Sticky and warm, and so terribly, utterly, pitch black.

But it didn't smell like tar, or oil, or pitch or anything... It didn't smell... It smelled like rot, decomposition... Death

Death and metal... Decay and blood

Dark, sticky, rotted, black blood

The world was being consumed by an unending ebony wave, contorted, twisted hands and fingers made of shadow reaching out toward her, hungry, cruel.

They were screaming, their voices disjointed, anguished... terrified.

Everything was getting swallowed up, all light, noise, up and down- everything

I'm... S...shit... No... No...!

She felt it tearing at her, wrenching her body apart from all sides, tearing flesh, tendon, bone, muscle and vein- a million hooks pushed into the very essence of her being and pulling violently in all directions... Unwinding her entire being, trying so hard to render her nothing but thin, wispy strips of barely human existence.

They were all screaming still, thousands of them, distorted, anguished, tortured- and her voice, and all the wails, and roars, and screeches within her own soul were just as loud.

N-no...!

I can't... He... He's...!

NO!

.:+:.

She jerked up, heart racing painfully in her chest. She meant to jolt upward, but even trying had her shoulder burn bright in pain and she nearly yelped at it- but instead she just cringed. She sucked in several short, shuddering gasps of air, her red eyes glittering in the dim of the room and body immediately tense and on high alert... Panicked.

Her eyes snapped up, a shiver running down her spine as her eyes locked with the roof overhead- the very unfamiliar roof, which did nothing to settle her nerves. Not even when it was just a simple roof and one that was completely empty, and not playing host to the deep, pitch black shadow she was searching for. It wasn't there, it was just the ceiling... But it wasn't her ceiling...?!

Where in the hell-?!

"Woah, woah, Spirit? You okay?"

Something popped into her line of sight, directly above her, and without warning- and she felt her heart race a million miles faster in sheer, unbridled reaction. Her left hand swung up without her consciously telling it to, and all that ran through her mind in that instant was for whatever it was to stay the hell away.

SMACK

Her palm rammed against the thing directly above her with a terrible clap of skin on skin, and a bit of a muffled cracking in the mix- oh, and a rather startled yelp of surprise from... Someone-?

The figure recoiled a bit, Spirit's hand lowering only a tad and stunned into stillness, while her heart continued to beat madly against her rib-cage. She didn't move after that, the stinging in her hand from hitting whatever it was so hard barely registered in her mind as she stared, and the thing that had popped into her view suddenly pulled back and out of direct sight again... And was followed by a low groan...?