Chapter 6- Hero

Chapter 6

Hero

.:+:.

She'd made a lot of mistakes in her life. Many of them she justified, and many of the she regretted... many of them she just tried to reason with herself.

Do what you can, the best that you can

Sometimes it wasn't always enough

.:+:.

"... The ambulance took Ingenium to the hospital already?"

Rock Lock jumped a little in surprise at the sudden question and voice in an alleyway that was nothing less than grim, and all other noises somehow dimmed for it. He'd been standing at a halfway point between the entrance of the alley (and the barricade the Police had set up), and the middle of it where a multitude of police were picking up bits of metal and DNA- evidence, and the bulk of it was blood. There was by now a line of onlookers and media personnel stuck behind the barricade, with a line of officers planted firmly in their way and doing their best to keep the crowd from getting a good view of what was going on... And what a horrific mess the place was.

Like Rock Lock, the Police and a few other Pros had rushed here after a short, urgent summons- the Hero Killer was in Hosu and Animal Spirit and Ingenium had faced him... And got cut down, in Ingenium's case. And in Animal Spirit's?

The Ebony Hero had rushed off to track Stain down again after he and two other Pros had arrived... And now from the chatter he picked up from the Police, Animal Spirit had lost Stain altogether.

This is a mess

Rock Lock's eyes moved quickly toward the source as he turned to find the lean figure of Animal Spirit walking in his direction, slowly. The man's eyes danced across her person in quick succession- he hadn't much time earlier to take in her appearance, seeing as how she ran off near the instant he arrived... And now he really saw what a mess she was.

Her sleeves were off her arms and her skin and hands were smothered in sticky red all over, a same red that trickled from one cut across her arm, her leg, on both hands, and one on her cheek. Her hair was falling from the ponytail in several places, and her suit and fishnets had little tears and the like, and she had lost the straps usually wound around her thighs. Her knuckles were bruised and she was dirty, but the bulk of the grime came from her hands- and the thick covering of blood on her side and over her abdomen. His eyes found the sleeve she had tied around her torso, and the bits of torn flesh poking through underneath it... A hit that went through her.

But somehow even despite all of that, she didn't seem fazed by her appearance nor even really like she felt it- not pain nor exhaustion, nothing. She placed herself in front of him and stood tall and steady, and her expression was just calm and collected and neutral. Somehow she went up against the Hero Killer and didn't get herself killed, or wounded to the point she couldn't move. She'd run off and moved over buildings for no small distance afterward, and come all the way back like it wasn't hard... She was in much better shape than anyone should have been, or ever had been when they confronted Stain.

No one had ever just... Walked away, ever. Now if that was credit to her skills as the No. 26 or just luck, well- who could tell?

Well, actually-

"... They rushed him off about ten minutes ago." Rock Lock mumbled, Spirit nodded. The Pro- Recoil- who had followed Spirit off earlier, made a reappearance along with the No. 26, her eyes flashing and fidgeting as she stuck a few steps to the side of Spirit. He quirked a brow at her, arms crossing over his chest and grimacing. "It looks like they should have taken you too." He commented dryly, Spirit blinked.