Chapter 30- Swept

Chapter 30

Swept

.:+:.

KNOCK KNOCK

The young man formerly known as 'Sushi-Dude' jumped nearly out of skin as the knock sounded from the front door, the sound of it shattering what had otherwise been sheer silence, and silence that was absolutely normal and rarely ever got destroyed for any reason. Which was entirely by design, he had moved here for a reason in this near abandoned part of the district with no real houses or apartments so he wouldn't really have any neighbors. And with no neighbors there was no reason for someone to be knocking on his front door- but someone definitely was.

He hissed when he jumped though, gritting his teeth at the way his ribs ached for the sudden jarring movement and the rest of him protested the action too. But the ache and sting of pain in his chest, hands, joints and all else did not stop him from casting a suspicious glare across the rather spread thin 'living room' and toward the front door. There came a brief pause following the knocking where he just stared, the snap out of silence and his attention on staring out the glass roof overhead making his thoughts slow to come together and process what the knocking meant, and who the hell it could even be. Immediately several portions of his mind went on alert, setting him instinctively on edge as they ran through worst case scenarios with rapid speed.

Was it a solicitor? Someone skeevy?

Some punk screwing around? Someone testing to see if the building was empty before breaking in?

And the worst of the lot; Had he been followed from the hospital and found-?

He broke the thought off, gritting his teeth and swallowing hard as he fought letting it come to full fruition, lest he end up jinxing himself for simply thinking the thing. He grumbled about it and moving again as he forced himself onto his feet, and continued to grumble even as he cautiously moved toward the door. Cautiously, slowly, and rather jolting all around, his steps not all that fluid nor even since he wasn't just sore, but also extremely stiff from having been sitting on the floor for... well, awhile.

He hissed under his breath when the next step he took ended with a snap of pain running from his ribs and all through all the rest of him. His movement hitched for it and forced him to slow up even further, which made him a little paranoid about what whoever or whatever was doing the knocking must be thinking about the delayed response.

Maybe they'll think nobody's home? Would they wait around a little longer and leave? Should I just, I dunno, stay quiet and let them leave? I don't really wanna talk to anybody...

... Or maybe they'll think with no one home it's perfect to break in- DAMN IT

STOP IT YOU'RE GONNA JINX IT YOU DUMBASS!

He picked up his pace a little despite the jarring way the steps on the concrete were radiating through him, and made his way straight up to the door (and perhaps too quickly to be normal). His face fell instinctively into that dark, broody, twisted and sour one that was (very much) his default expression, grey eyes glinting and narrowed into suspicious slits as he jerked the door open just an inch or so to peer through a crack between it and the door frame.

Him staring (or perhaps glowering would be more accurate) out from the small sliver would likely have intimidated, or creeped out anyone standing on the other side- but it definitely did not have that effect on the specific someone standing there.

His grey stare (glare) met a calm red one, the Ebony Hero instantly finding his gaze in the little crack of the doorway and not at all fazed with the slightly dark aura bleeding outward from it. She lift a hand from her side, expression unreadable and voice even as she gave him a single, sort of nonchalant wave, while his heart skipped a suddenly panicked beat to realize it was her-