Chapter 21- Hesitate

Chapter 21

Hesitate

.:+:.

She held her breath. Held it even though doing so was agony, and it made the fire burning through her, charring her from the inside out, all the worse... but worse still was the way her heart felt like it was breaking in two.

She felt the tears coming up, but she couldn't let them show through... not now... Not right now... not here.

... but shit...

... after everything... I knew better... I never wanted to... and still I...

...why...?

.:+:.

... I can't believe I agreed to this...

Spirit sighed quietly under her breath, her red eyes glittering as she looked ahead to Anima and Tsukuyomi, both of them dressed in their normal clothes (omitting their Hero Uniforms since they weren't working) and talking quietly with one another as they continued up the sidewalk. They were completely content in their conversation and not bothered by the people they passed by... They didn't earn much in the way of curious glances since they weren't all dressed up now, but they did still earn a few given both Hawks and Animal Spirit were close behind the two boys.

She and Hawks had omitted wearing their Hero Uniforms too, though generally Hawks' outfit didn't look much different from his usual getup. He was wearing a t-shirt and baggy pants with boots, and a black jacket over that too with slits up the back for his wings- the color pallet was off sure, but it was basically the same thing... Just minus the visor and the gloves. His headphones were in a familiar place around his neck and she could hear music playing softly from them, though a bit too low to tell what it was... The Winged Hero earned quite a few more looks than was probably expected, given his cheek was bruised and an array of more bruises and bandages covered his person- not that he ever payed the looks, nor the murmurs any mind.

On Spirit's part, she had opted for a pair of jeans and a loose gray shirt that hung off her shoulders, a black tank top underneath, and knee-high boots similar to those she wore with her Hero Suit. She'd taken the time to put on the face-paint paired with her Hero Uniform and pull her hair up into her usual style too- but that was all she had in the way of Hero garb. It felt a little odd to be out and about like she was and not be on Patrol or anything, because she rarely ever did go out into public as 'Animal Spirit' without being out for Hero Work or the like. Because... Well, as she'd realized with goddamn Mamoru-Killjoy back at the Club- she really didn't have any sort of a life outside of working. So even being out like this and just relaxing and going to dinner was an odd feeling too.

I don't do anything like this... Like ever... I don't do 'down time'...

...I guess... At least I had the good sense to pack a different outfit just in case... Not that I wanted any reason to wear it...

She blinked, biting the inside of her cheek as she saw the way the Interns were talking and in their own little world, enjoying themselves and smiling softly as they did it... Well, I guess I can't complain too much... At least they seem to be enjoying themselves.

After eating breakfast they had all stayed awhile at Hawks' building, chatting amongst themselves, the conversation mostly driven by Hawks, with Anima (surprisingly) joining in quite a bit. Apparently he'd bucked up a little since Hawks was constantly prodding the poor boy with talking points and the like, so the kid had by now shaken off some of his shyness and uncertainty... Which was great, it was good to see him a bit more confident and vocal, and after awhile of it he didn't seem all that nervous either.