Six.

Demi didn't consider herself to be a very religious person. She used to go to church with April when she would drag her but she only knew about five books in the Bible and one scripture about honoring your parents.

She barely prayed and she had only taken communion twice in her life. She just wasn't very...religious. But April always used to tell her that when she couldn't turn to anyone else she could turn to God, and she really didn't have anyone else to turn to.

So Sunday morning when she'd usually be at practice, she dressed in her best church attire and stumbled into one of the churches on one of the many corners of New York.

There was an older black woman on the stage and she was singing a song that Demi didn't recognize but the power of her voice and the lyrics of the song caused Demi to lower herself into a pew and close her eyes, letting the music sink into her soul as she recalled her awful weekend.

"It was a thong! A thong that is not mine and a thong that just happened to be in the sex tape that you're allegedly in, which doesn't seem to be such a scam anymore! All the evidence is there, Trey!" Demi screamed after returning from shopping with Jhene and Naya.

"I don't know how it got in here, Demi! I have never seen that in my life! It's probably one of yours!" Trey yelled back at her as Demi shook her head and threw the thong at him.

"I don't wear neon colors, Trey! Have you not known me long enough to know that! And I definitely don't wear trashy neon lace thongs!"

"I just don't understand why it is so hard for you to believe me!"

"Because everything points to you! All roads lead to you! The odds are not in your favor and I don't believe you! And before you go on your little rant about how you've done so much for me and never lied to me, consider this. I have done just as much for you as you have for me. Without me, there is no you! I have pushed you and rooted for you and picked you up when you were down and done everything that a best friend and a good girlfriend is supposed to do but I will not sit around and be played! I refuse. And I'm tired. You want me to believe you but I can't. I just can't. I'm sorry."

"I know you have a lot on your plate right now but I really need to tell you something," Dallas said, grabbing Demi's hand to keep her still. She was pacing the length of her apartment and Dallas just wanted her to listen for a few minutes so that she could get it off of her chest.

"What is it?" Demi asked, not failing to notice the serious expression on her sister's face.

"It's-"

Demi's phone began to rang and she told Dallas to hold on for a second so that she could see who it was. It was a number from Dallas and figuring that it might be one of her old friends trying to catch up with her Demi answered it and stood up.

"Hello?"

"Hey sweetheart. This is Dianna...your mother." Of course she knew who it was. She could recognize her mother's voice from anywhere.

"Why are you calling me?" Demi hissed. When was the last time she had even talked to her mother? After she didn't come to her graduation and she had moved out, Demi's relationship with her mother had kind of just ended. There was no reason to talk to her anymore.

"I know you want nothing to do with me and I understand that, believe me, I do-"

"Just get to the point, Dianna." Demi was in no type of mood to be dealing with her mother, if she could even call her that.

"It's your...it's Patrick. He's in the hospital. He was um, he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and paranoid schizophrenia. He also has...he has pancreatic cancer. It's just not good, Demi," Dianna explained as Demi chewed down on the skin around her thumb nail. Why did her mom think she wanted to know that? Why would it matter to her? But why was she feeling a tightening in her chest that was making it hard for her to breathe.

"He only has so many days left, Demi. And we're in Dallas just-" Demi hung up the phone and grabbed her purse before abruptly leaving the apartment.

And that was what led her to that church with the pretty stain glass windows and the elderly woman who was singing her heart out, begging the Lord to take her hand and lead her through the night and through the storm. That was what Demi needed. She was going through a storm. She was going through darkness. And she couldn't see herself making it out without the help of some higher force, because whatever she had been doing was not working, and she felt weaker than she ever had.

The possibility of it actually being Trey in that sex tape seemed greater than ever. Her father, the man that had abused her when all he was supposed to was love her and guide her through the world was in a mental hospital dying of cancer, she was suspended from her job for a month without pay. Nothing was going right. Nothing was working out for her.

She was a good person. She knew that she was. And good things were supposed to happen to good people. So why was every thing that could possibly go wrong in her life going wrong?

it's short because I wrote it while listening to the song in the description. So you should read it while listening to it.