Thirteen.

"Demetria Lovato. Believe it or not but I have heard lots of great things about you from your professors at Columbia. You're getting ready to graduate, right?" She couldn't believe that she had a meeting with the director at Harvard Med, but one of her professors had helped arrange it for her and she couldn't be more thankful.

"Actually, you can call me Demi. And yes, I'll be graduating in just a few months," Demi replied, shaking his hand as he sat down behind his desk and she sat down in front of it.

"Well then why haven't I received an application yet? You are planning on coming here right?" Mr. Harvey was his name and Demi nodded and crossed one leg over the other.

"It's just complicated. I want to go here, I mean, this is my dream school but I uh, I'm getting married soon and my fiancée is going to be overseas for his career and he wants me to go with him," Demi explained, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. It wasn't in her to be selfish. She was never like that. She always considered the feelings of others before her own. That's why she hadn't gotten with Trey, even when she realized her feelings for him back when they were in high school. It took him convincing her that it was okay for her to be selfish and put herself before others for her to even explore her feelings for him.

"Well do you want to go with him?" Mr. Harvey questioned as Demi chewed down on her lower lip. If they were gonna be married, of course she wouldn't want to be away from him. But she wanted a chance to chase her dreams as well and she thought that Trey would allow her to do that.

"I don't want to be away from him but I think I want to go here more."

"Well there goes one obstacle. How are you with money? A good education isn't cheap."

"I know and I never thought to apply for a scholarship because I thought that he would take care of it but he doesn't want me to be away from him and I just...I don't know if he's still willing to pay for me to go here if that means I can't be with him," Demi honestly answered. She was sure that he wasn't the type to leak this kind of information to the media so she didn't have a problem telling him about what was honestly going on. He was the only person that she had talked to about it anyways and it felt good to get it off of her chest.

"There's a full ride scholarship that many people know about, which is why only about 80 people apply for it every year. Would you like an application for it?" Mr. Harvey offered. Demi never thought that she would need to apply for a scholarship because she was sure that Trey would help pay for her schooling. Of course she had money saved up but it wasn't enough for Harvard's tuition.

"Let me just give you a little hint while you're filling it out and writing your essay for it. Only one person receives it Demi. You have to stand out. You should just jump off the page. Can you do that?" Demi took the application from him and quickly scanned it over. How was she gonna jump off the page?

"I can try."

"Where have you been all day?" Demi dropped her purse on the kitchen counter and went to the refrigerator to find something that she could eat before practice.

"Demi, did you hear me? Where have you been all day?" Trey questioned once again, setting down the apple that he was eating to put his full attention on Demi. She was dressed like a businesswoman with her standard black blazer and grey slacks complimented by a white button down shirt. Her hair was straight down her back and she was in sensible shoes. Where the hell had she been?

"I just had a meeting and now I'm gonna eat something before I have to go to practice. Is that okay with you?" She sarcastically spat, shooting him a nice little smile before popping a piece of leftover lasagna into the microwave and waiting for it to heat up.