FIELD TRIP

Lee dialed in, entered his conference pin code, and waited for the host to let him into the meeting.

This call was weekly, all the regionals connected to give the tempo on their park of stores.

It was the only call Lee appreciated. Brenan Watkins, the EMEA manager, was a straightforward, to-the-point type of man. One could leave the cry baby stance at the door. Brenan wanted to know why and how you smashed or crashed the targets and what actions you would put in place going forward. One even had to be ready to reply to the how-can-we support-you question.

Even though the exercise seemed an easy one, many failed to express their needs.

Lee spoke little; his results placed him on a pedestal to everyone's agony.

The asshole was good at his job, indeed. If most at the headquarters had enough of his arrogance and global persona, Brenan held Lee in his esteem.

Lee's store staff saw the man as the messiah who never let them down. Outside of HQ walls, the man's position was slightly different. The retail teams didn't know him personally. Thus they were unconcerned by his life.

No one asked where the wedding ring went or questioned why the family man visited shops on Saturday and stayed for the day.

All the retail team saw was a regional there for the little people. None suspected Lee acted to kill time and flee the loneliness.

"As you know, the inventories for Europe are starting next week. Faris will exceptionally be in Spain for theirs, which means France won't have him. Stock control, and I thought you could support them, Lee, since you finished yours."

Lee blinked while wishing the call had subtitles as he was not sure of what he heard, "pardon."

"You're the only one who is free."

"Free, I've got twelve stores to babysit."

"And they are doing fantastic, that's why we choose you. You'll be able to share your region's best practices. I'm sure the French could learn a thing or two."

Slick, Brennan disguised the chore as a reward.

"If it's a language barrier thing, just letting you know speak Spanish. Can't I swap with Faris? What do you say?"

Brenan cocked a brow; he liked Lee's cocky attitude, which reminded his younger self, "Lee, you're not bargaining, are you?"

"Well, one has to try?"

Sighs and rolling eyes filled every webcam, the man didn't speak much, but when he did, one got their money worth in exasperation.

"Your flight is booked for next Monday. Retail ops will send you the details."

Lee wondered if he gave a positive reply at any moment for them to decide to plan the trip.

Message to Micheal Gulliams: Did you know?

Reply from Micheal Gulliams: It's for your good. Things are heating up; you're a trending topic in the woman's toilet again.

Message from Lee Cook: Oh, don't tell me you're scared for me. Thanks, but no thanks for the bro-love.

Reply from Micheal Gulliams: Enjoy the French air.

Lee retorted with a middle finger emoji and wondered why the image was even available on professional chats.

Only when the call was over did Lee realize where they chose to send him. He could not wait to see the woman's horrid expression. The thought alone made the man's day.

In the meantime, in the land of baguettes and croissants, Sana sighed in front of her inventory checklist. Despite her shy personality, Sana managed to get her messages across and lead her team.

Feared by none, but all worked for the sake of the empathetic boss. Sana had a gift. She spent the long silent teenage years observing people, so she understood the passions that drove most. Concerning customers, it was their motivations she saw, Sana was good with all that concerned consumers, but it was another story when it came to back-office.

And here, she faced her Achilles heels inventory. The preparation process was long, and coming in a 7 am on the dreaded inventory day just pissed her off.

Sana had one day left to prepare and validate the stages on the YourScan portal. The last part was the easiest. All she had to do was create the zones by placing the tags.

She scheduled the task for Saturday after closing time.

Thank goodness Faris would be there to assist them. It took Sana some time to get used to their regional, who happened to be a young graduate. Reporting to someone younger telling one what to do sometimes makes one feel like an underachiever.

Sana had to coach herself and accept this. Her nomination encouraged her change of opinion concerning the young regional manager. Also, Faris altered some of his straight from school hacks which consisted of saying it's this way, not another. He learned the realities of the field, which could not always be played by the book.

The man had incompressible patience, which was perfect Sana, who knew Faris would not lecture but give a step-by-step revision of the procedure. He would get the impression of upgrading her knowledge, and Sana would pray to remember how to do things the next time.

Reassured Sana proceeded without doubting the outcome.

Lee dropped Dylan off at Camille's. Though the boy was old enough to stay alone, his father preferred leaving him with someone.

The man mentally punched himself, seeing his Ex-wife still sent butterflies flying in his stomach. Camille shone bright, she had the pixie hair cut he hated, but she remained beautiful with her juvenile porcelain skin and alluring Asian eyes.

As always, Lee stood at the gate while Dylan walked up the pathway. The scene played like a war hostage exchange.

Dylan passed his mother, who ruffled his hair and walked to the gate.

"Hi, Leeㅡ."

"I'll be back in a week. See you."

The man turned without waiting for a response, got in his car, and headed to Heathrow.

Eighteen months after, the rupture still hurt. Lee lived and breathed the woman for so long he felt as though he inhaled and respired in apnea since.

Two hours later, Lee stood in the RER B railway line. He commuted and arrived at his hotel safely, thanks to Google maps.

Good thing Micheal worked at retail ops, and he got a nice room and not the crusty Bates Motel room where all doors creaked, and you wondered if you would survive the night.

Lee laid on the bed and stared at the ceiling.

Monday.

With nothing positive in mind, Lee looked forward to it in an awkward and twisted way.