AGAINST YOUR ODDS

Micheal brought a hand to his forehead, "come on, Lee, you can't be serious. The woman wants you fired, and you want to screw her."

"Why do you always have to reduce everything to sex?"

Micheal placed his hands on his hips; exasperation wrote upon his face, "so you're telling me, you've been celibate for almost two years and preserving yourself for this basic pukka pie chick. That you are ready to sacrifice your career for her E bonnet."

Enough, Micheal made Lee's kettle erupt, "look who's talking. What is it to you? I'm not like you, Micheal. I don't buy a new car because I've got a flat tire."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Micheal asked while he slid his head back.

"Micheal, I know you're still seeing her. She's the one behind the lobby, that woman's pissed because I told you to stop seeing her, and you were stupid enough to use me as an excuse to break up. Your wife is barely recovering from her breast cancer. She needs you, Micheal and youㅡ."

"Shit, Lee, why are you bringing this up?"

"Because you're here criticizing my choices and my woman. Do you really expect me to nod like Noddy and just fucking accept that you wash her out?"

"Fuck you, Lee."

"I'm sorry to say this, but it's the one you're screwing on the side that's a bitch, Micheal. If there's someone playing anybody here, it's that girl from merch. You know what? I can say all I want concerning Camille and Janet, but at least they had the guts to come out with the truth. Audrey deserves the truth."

"You're a bastard."

"You don't know how it is, Micheal. You have no clue how it feels to discover the person you love has betrayed your vows, your trust, your love. And they don't even have the bloody decency to stop or even tell you."

The man had held everything in for too long. During all this time, there was someone who suffered a more significant prejudice than Lee's inflicted by Camille. Lee was no hero, he neither had the words or the right, but he defended the woman who wasn't even aware of her husband's liaison.

"Lee, I stood up for you."

"And I thank you, you're a true friend Micheal, but I can't let that support and friendship get in the way of my judgment. A friend tells you when you fuck up, and man," Lee shook his head, "you've burnt your wings."

Micheal grasped the back of his head with both hands, "I swear, I can't believe you're saying this after all I did for you."

"Please, don't mix up things. I'm in this bloody mess with the pussy squad because of your mistress."

"Lee," Micheal opened his hands to sign a halt, "you're on your own."

The discussion blew way out of proportion. Once more, Lee's mouth distributed words ears weren't ready to hear.

Micheal left the conference room, slamming the door. Lee followed shortly after regaining his natural tint as his anger cooled down. It was just a matter of time before the banshee knew.

The man returned to his desk, where a deadly silence reigned. All witnessed how Micheal stormed out of the conference room.

Minds raced like a Thalys to Belgium as everyone attempted to find what they discussed.

In the meantime, Sana exposed her stock issues, "my stockroom is small. So I'm cautious when it comes to quantities. I regularly check the stock reports top twenty."

"How can we support you?" Brennan asked.

"To be honest, what I need are heads. I did the maths even if I take away breaks; we're not enough. If I want to fill the peak hours, I need at least thirty hours more on this store. I've tried everything. f I backup the afternoon, I lack staff in the morning. Also, students are available on weekends, but I have nobody to cover from Monday to Thursday. It's just a nutcracker."

Brennan nodded.

"Eh, Sana and I have already discussed this. I was waiting for finance to validate."

Only Keela and Olaf noticed how Sana's stare slid to the side when her regional attempted to glide into the spotlight.

The visit continued, Brennan met the team. Everyone took time and asked questions.

"Well, Sana, it was nice meeting you. Everyone passed and shook her hand. What shocked Sana was the little wink Olaf gave while adding an almost sultry, "see you soon."

The sexy Scandinavian would have shaken her heart if she didn't already have a resident. Sana couldn't wait to tell Lee how the visit went.

The man was the instigator of many mishaps, and now he contributed to her success.

"Keela," the woman was cold, almost distant with her friend who tried to capture her attention.

"Why did you go with him?" was all her Keela said before leaving.

Sana understood why Keela could be disappointed, but she could not comprehend why her friend sought to get Lee in such a ferocious manner.

From the beginning, Keela was the one who wished for Lee to fall. And this despite the fact the man had never done anything to her.

Sana felt as though her friend withheld information concerning Lee. Weird thoughts crept into her head.

Keela was the carpe diem type of girl who didn't mind one-night stands and hated the fluff around romance or being in relationships she found routine.

What if Keela and Lee had a fling?

Everything was possible.

Perhaps Keela didn't wish to hurt her feelings. Lee never spoke of her. If anything happened, it was not something either one wanted to reveal.

Sana bashed the thoughts out of her mind and recalled the reason why the man popped into thinking space, she called.

Lee stared at the screen while WhatsApp displayed its green Layout. It was Sana, but he couldn't take the call. The man didn't want his foul mood to have him say things he didn't mean, and so Lee let three calls pass.

Sana, disappointed, tucked her phone in her jeans back pocket. All she wished was to share her success.

The missed call brought back her suspicions as she imagined Keela scolding Lee for inviting her to the wedding.

Perhaps it was why the man didn't answer.

In a love triangle, Sana refused to play a part in such a screenplay. The woman could not suspect how far away she was from the truth.