MISSED KISS

Sana arrived at St. Pancreas and jumped in a cab, "to 23 Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park, please."

Her heart raced; she hadn't slept. She spent her whole night tossing, turning, and trying to piece elements together, only to ashamed of the theories where she imagined an ideal between her friend and Lee. She paid for the cab and ran to Keela's door. The door opened after one ring. She entered only to see Keela in front of Bridgertone's third episode.

Sana tilted her head to the side at the scene that seemed a little off-key, "Keela?"

"Hi Sana, you came so quick. I should be in dire straits more often."

Sana frowned, "you don't look like you're suffering much?"

Keela lifted her arms, "Is this good enough for you?"

The sight of the bandages brought Sana back to the reason for her visit.

"Keela, what happened?" Sana asked as she neared the couch.

"Lee fucking Cook happened. He gripped my wrists so hard I thought they'd break in his hold."

The woman didn't explain that most of the friction happened because of her agitation.

"Why did he do that?" Sana could not believe Lee would do such of thing. He had a foul mouth but did not seem like a man to hit a woman. Again, was there a type of man for such deeds?

"He's a psycho, Sana. We got in the lift together. I said hello he didn't reply. I told him he could at least do that. Lee said he didn't wish to talk to me."

Sana's eyes narrowed in suspicion, "just like that?"

"Just like that, it pissed me off, so I told him to stop playing you."

"What?" said the woman, who suddenly wondered why Keela made her a subject of their conversation.

"Sana, the man is using you. What happened is proof of that. Lee got on his high horse because I uncovered his scheme and began to cuss me."

"What scheme are you talking about, Keela?"

"Sana, I already told you. All the attention he has been giving you is fake. Lee will leave you in the dark as soon as he realizes he's out of the storm. He said so many obscenities. I was so frightened of what he could do to me that I just went crazy and began to hit him."

"Why did you that, Keela?"

"You're my friend. Your breakup with Winston broke you. I don't wish for you to go through that again."

Keela's sincere expression brought tears to Sana's eyes. Never had anyone gone so far to protect her.

"Oh, Keela," the woman took Keela in a side hug. "What are you going to do?"

"I'm on sick leave until next Friday. Then HR will convoke me to hear what happened. I already spoke to the police. Lee will probably do the same."

"Okay," Sana got up.

Keela frowned, "what are you doing?"

"I have to see him."

Keela sat up. Her mind began to run lapse, "Sana, don't go. The man is dangerous. Why do you want to see him? Don't tell me you want to hear him out."

"I just want to understand. Don't worry; I won't stay long. Knowing Lee, he'll probably chuck me out."

Keela weighed things out. If she insisted Sana would get suspicious, she decided to play it cool. She doubted the man would accept to talk to Sana anyway. With a bit of luck, Lee would curse her out.

Sana called another cab, to her surprise the man sent her his address.

She arrived in Hampstead. The area was neat and the landscape beautiful compared to some regions of London.

The cab dropped her off in front of Lee's house. He already stood on the porch when she arrived. He came to the gate, his face and right cheek were swollen, and Sana noted the scratches on his forehead and brow.

Lee opened the gate and began walking up the pathway, only to stop when he realized Sana's steps didn't follow. He turned, "don't you want to come in?"

"I'm not staying long."

Lee had hoped the tell-tell lies would not influence Sana. He closed his eyes for a second as he tried to regain his composure and advanced to where she stood.

"I saw Keela."

The man didn't need to look further for an explanation. He could only presume how the woman remixed the incident.

"Why, Lee?"

"Sana, your friend, she isn't the person you think she is."

"I know Keela. She wouldn't hurt anyone on purpose."

"Sana, there are things you don't know."

"Did you sleep with her?"

The man scrunched his nose in disgust, "what? Hell, no."

"Did you flirt?"

"No, no, I wouldn't that even if she was the last ovary standing and the future of humanity depended on my bollocks."

"Then what is it, Lee? There has to be another reason. Keela is smart enough to ignore insults. Why, Lee, why?"

"Ask your friend about Micheal."

"Micheal, who?"

"Ask her about Micheal Gulliams and see what she tells you."

"What is Keela supposed to tell me. You're here. Why don't you do it?"

"Because it's not about me. You know I don't like speaking of others. I hope she'll have the guts to tell you."

"Do you want to know what she did say?"

"What?" Lee asked.

"You're playing me."

Lee swiped a hand on his forehead. He should have strangled her thought the man at least then things would make sense, "do you believe her?"

"Are you playing me?"

The man was disappointed by Sana's questions. He thought the woman knew him better.

"Come on, Sana, you know she is trying to divide to win."

"Answer me, Lee."

"At first, I admit I wasn't interested. I just wished to annoy you, but you did the same. Keela used you as a pretext to trigger me. Sana, my intentions are sincere. I didn't do anything; she provoked me."

"Did you insult her?"

" I admit it. Yes, I insulted her. Yes, I gripped her wrists, perhaps a little tightly. I'm idiot know."

"It's more than enough, Lee."

"Sana, please."

The woman turned and opened the gate.

"Sana, I would never lift my hand on a woman. I'm an asshole, I know it, but I don't do that sort of thing. I could never."

"I'm sorry, Lee."

All Sana saw was a woman who thought she was in danger and did everything she could to escape. Lee had no excuse in her eyes.

The man shook his head, "not as much as I."

They could not say they were in a relationship. There was no history, but some memorable moments, still; it hurt Lee to see Sana leave with the regret of not even having kissed her.