irenic

While We're Young by Jhené Aiko

Glendale, AZ
Wednesday July 3rd
Samir Cadaver | sage

"Who is your favourite artist in the music industry?" Mindy asked as they walked around westgate entertainment district. It was a recreation centre in Glendale.

'I don't have any specifics since I don't really listen to music like that but I really like Kendrick Lamar and Brent Faiyaz' Mindy nodded as she watched his eyes carefully.

"What about art wise?" Mindy asked as she took hold of Samir's hand and swung their connected hands back and forth.

Mindy quickly let go after realising he needed his hands to speak 'Titus Kaphar' Mindy had never heard of him before.

"Who is he? Tell me about his work." Mindy liked speaking about things that interested her and she figured Samir was the same.

'He is a very talented American artist' Samir signed quickly, Mindy had had about a month of ASL lessons now and her vocabulary just kept expanding; the two would also see each other throughout the week so she was constantly learning new things.

"Tell me more, I know you know more Cade."

'His work is basically all contrived with the task of regenerating art history to include the african-american subject.'

"I've never heard of him, what else can you tell me?" Mindy asked quizzically.

"He is married to a woman named Julianne, he actually got serious into the art life after he met her' Mindy smiled from ear to ear.

'He once said "if we don't amend history by making new images and new representations, we are always going to be excluding ourselves" and i really like that quote'

"I like it too it seems powerful, what is your favourite artwork of his?" Her plan managed to work as Samir now seemed quite enthusiastic about it.

'behind the myth of benevolence'

"I don't know him or his work but he seems impressive," Samir nodded, "My favourite artist is Emma Amos because of how much she educates peoples and how diligent and dedicated she is towards her work."

"I've heard of her and seen her work, my favourite piece is Sand Tan." Mindy smiled widely.

"Same as me, I love it so much and all that it represents it is absolutely so amazing and Pool Lady or Dream Girl." Samir nodded as they walked hand in hand. He didn't want to talk anymore he just wanted to have his hand in hers.

Mindy rested her head on his shoulder as they walked around, they arrived at a bench and sat down next to each other. Bathing in each other's quietude.

"I care about you a lot, Cade." Mindy reassured, she didn't know why she said it but she just wanted to.

'I care about you too' Samir signed and then rested his hand in Mindy's lap.

"You're such an amazing person and I really don't even think you realise it," Samir looked down at Mindy questioningly which resulted in her elaborating, "you're very selfless in your own and I don't even think you realise it. You've taken me out on multiple occasions and you don't even like being in public, if you had the choice to I know you'd rather stay at home everyday or go to the gym. But you're here with me because you know it makes me happy."

"You go out with your friends because you know it makes them happy, you visit Soraya because you know it makes her happy, you drive to random destinations on Sunday's with your friends because it is quality bonding time."