Chapter 16 Flying By the Seat of My Pants

Chapter 16

Nico

I stood on the lower deck for a good 10 minutes after Finn was out of sight, staring into the black oblivion that was left in his wake.  An emptiness I felt physically by his fast departure.

What just happened?

Finn kissed me.

What do I make of this?

My body ached from the contradiction of the sensation of him pressing against me to the loss only minutes later.  It was like giving a starving man a bite of food and then taking it away.  I was okay when I was convinced nothing would ever happen like that again, but the small taste was unleashing a hunger so strong it was almost unbearable.

Finally I turned and headed back to my rooms for the night.  Unable to shake my confusion, I took a long shower and went to bed, hoping that something would make sense in the morning.  I was meeting Ajax for an early breakfast meeting with clients and then we were heading back to the office to go over some projections.  Maybe I would talk to him about it, get some brotherly advice.

The next morning I met Ajax just before the other arrived.   We had a quick chap on how to approach the meeting and the three men walked in.  They were on a short stopover heading overseas, so we met at a restaurant not far from the airport.  Ajax and I were well prepared and between the two of us, we had a very lucrative deal hammered out in no time.  When clients left to go catch their flight, I asked Ajax to stay back for a bit so we could talk.

"That's the way to do it," he beamed once they had left.  "We make such a good team Nico! Damn, I'm glad you're back."  Jax's enthusiasm was contagious as we both sat down with big smiles.  "When we get back to the office we'll finalize the paperwork with our lawyers and get it sent overnight to their next stop."

"Sounds great, what else do you have on our agenda for the day?"

"Not much, I have a few reports on some new ventures to show you, we're meeting with the department heads briefly at 10:30, so we can't stick around here too long, but we should be done before noon.  I'm meeting Benji for lunch if you want to join us?"

"No thanks, I was thinking of stopping by Finn's, I assume he's painting at his apartment today?"

"Yeah, his studio is all installed at his new apartment, so he should be working there.  Is Finn what you wanted to talk about?"

I nodded at Ajax, suddenly hesitant, was this something I should discuss or did Finn want it kept just between the two of us?

"How did things go after we left last night?"

"It went well, we talked about…that night, which wasn't easy for either of us, but it needed to be done.  He knows about Declan now too."

"You told him, I'm surprised."

"I told Finn I would never lie to him again, so when he asked directly, I answered him.  I made sure to emphasize that ultimately I was to blame.  He seemed to have figured it out anyway.  He and Declan have had a lot of problems in the past three years, Finn's always been smart and intuitive, it doesn't surprise me."

"Yeah, Benji told me he and Declan had issues, but he got along great with Jaime.  Jaime was good for him, otherwise I would have found a way to get him back here."

"I know that, he seemed to have flourished despite Declan anyway."

"How did it go…talking about…what happened that night?"