Chapter 31 All That Matters

Chapter 31

Finn

It had been three weeks since baby Paisley's arrival and we were falling into a routine. Louisa and Rosita arrived and were settled into their apartment down a few floors, but Nico and I found that we liked to do most of the childcare ourselves. To appease the lovely ladies we did make sure to set aside time that they could babysit, which gave us alone time together, which we both agreed was important since things had been happening so fast, we had to make sure we didn't neglect our relationship. Louisa and Rosita also helped keep our apartment running, our refrigerator stocked and all of us well fed.

Next week was Thanksgiving and we had a lot to be thankful for this year. Benji and Ajax were hosting it at their house and Louisa and Rosita were busy helping them with all the plans. I had spoken with Jaime who wanted us to come there for the holiday; all three of us. I think he had some idea in his head that now with Daisy and Paisley, we could all come together and be some big happy family together. Declan would put aside his animosity and Nico would just go along with it like nothing ever happened.

I didn't even discuss it with Nico, I flat out told Jaime no. He and Daisy were welcome to come join us for our Thanksgiving, but I wasn't ready to forgive Declan or see him again. He understood and sadly declined, which I knew he would. Thanksgiving is a family holiday and Declan was his family, but I honestly didn't consider him mine. My family was here. It was Paisley and Nico, Ajax and Benji, Louisa and Rosita and Liam and the boys.

Today was a Paisley day. I'd just finished mid-terms and had a few days off, classes didn't resume again until the Monday after Thanksgiving so I was enjoying lots of time with my baby girl. I was still painting, but I worked around her schedule and did a lot of it when she was sleeping. But today, I was taking a break from painting and was just going to be Dad for a day.

Paisley and I spent the morning together taking a walk through the park near our apartment, followed by a bottle, a nap and then a bath. Afterwards, we headed downtown to meet Nico at his office and we had a family lunch planned. Nico had a bunch of morning meetings, but said he'd be finished by 1:00pm and was taking the afternoon off so we could do some family bonding. Paisley and I drove down and parked in the private garage under his office building.

I greeted the security guards on the way in and headed straight to Ajax and Nico's private elevator. Once I arrived on their floor, the receptionist, Monica, and Ajax's personal assistant, Deirdre, met us and cooed over the baby for several minutes before I could make a gracious escape to Nico's office. Nico hadn't felt the need for his own PA since Ajax still did most of the operations, Nico took a secondary, more consulting position since he wasn't ready to commit himself full time to working at this time.

"Hi Papa!" I called out in my best "baby Paisley" voice, waving her little hand as I carried her into Nico's office. "Oh, sorry," I whispered when I saw he was on the phone. He looked serious, but when he saw us, he gave us a smile, but I could tell something was wrong the way it didn't reach his eyes.

I set the small diaper bag I was carrying on a chair and carried Paisley over to the big window so we could enjoy the view while Nico finished up.

"And what about the boy, what will happen to him?" I heard Nico say, followed by a long pause, and then some "Mhmm, okay. Yeah, I understand." Another long pause and then right before he said goodbye, "Okay, let me know if there's anything I can do...yes, just as long as someone is looking after the boy. Right, yes, he'd met him a few times, I'll let him know. Thanks, bye."

"What was that about?" I asked, walking over to Nico. He stood up and took Paisley from my arms giving her a big hug. I watched him tuck her against his chest and his eyes closed as he inhaled the sweet scent of her head, something we both did often, as if we could gather strength with each inhalation. I waited because it seemed like something upsetting had happened and he needed a minute or two to gather his thoughts.