Chapter 7 Let's Talk

Chapter 7

Finn

"Good morning Ajax." I poured myself a coffee as I looked around the kitchen, "where's Benji?"

"He's sleeping in this morning. He said you can take his car to go pick up Liam."

"Okay, I'm going to start looking for a used car myself, any suggestions on a good place to check out?"

"The repair shop where Brett works has a used car lot next door owned by the same guy. I know him, he's honest and fair and he has some decent cars. I'll give him a call and see if he has anything appropriate."

"That's okay, I'll just stop over this afternoon if I can borrow Benji's car."

"I don't mind calling him, I..."

"What Ajax?" I felt like he was up to something and I didn't want him interfering. I was 19 years old and I had my own money, I could certainly buy a used car by myself, besides, I'm sure Brett would check it over for me.

"I just want to make sure the cars he shows you are appropriate...safe, reliable..."

"Ajax, I know you're just showing that you care, but I can do this on my own, I'm not going to get a piece of junk, but I'm not going to buy a brand new luxury SUV either," I knew that was a low blow, but I wasn't his responsibility the way Benji was, he had to give me my space.

Ajax put up his hands in defeat. "Just trust me," I added.

"Okay, okay, I will leave it in your very capable hands...now sit down I've made us breakfast...you like omelettes?"

"Yeah, thanks." I sat down across the island from him as he cut the large omelette in half and put it on two plates which he placed in front of each of us. He pulled out one plate from the oven that was keeping a pile of toast warm and another with bacon.

"This is awesome Ajax," I blurbled with a mouthful of food.

When we were finished, Ajax placed his utensils down and tented his fingers under chin and had that look like something was on his mind. I finished my last bite, put my utensils down and placed my hands in my lap, waiting for whatever it was he wanted to say.

"Benji wanted me to talk to you."

"About what?"

"He's worried about you."

"Why? I'm fine...great in fact. I'm back in Cali going to UCLA in the Fall, what could be better?"

"How are you feeling now, about everything that happened in Miami? He thinks you're still hurting."

"I don't feel anything anymore about what happened in Miami, it's in the past. I was a stupid little kid who misinterpreted the situation. It's over, I've moved on and I'm sure so has N...he."

"I don't believe you."

"Well you don't have a choice."

"You can't even say his name, Finn."

"Ajax, what's your point...besides trying to dig up old wounds? He doesn't want me anymore, I've moved on and now I don't want him anymore either, I'm fine with that. I came back because this is my home, New York was never my home. I'm away from Declan, who seemed to think he was in charge of my life, and I'm making a new start here again. I'm perfectly okay on my own and I'll probably meet plenty of single guys when school starts...besides, I've had plenty of boyfriends since him, it's not like I'm pining away." He probably already replaced me with a new sub, or a few of them I thought, but I kept that to myself. He was Ajax's brother after all and there was no need to bring the conversation to that level.