Chapter 28 More Surprises

Chapter 28

Finn

Apparently we passed the home visit with flying colors, Jessica called us the next day and told us that we had an appointment with the judge who would be presiding over our case in two days and if all went well, which everyone expected it would, we could bring Paisley home that night.

It was now Sunday afternoon, Nico and I just finished completing the nursery and were going to Ajax and Benji's for a barbecue. We'd been so busy we hadn't seen them for a while and they wanted to hear all the latest news and see the pictures we'd been taking of Paisley at each of our visits.

"You ready to head out?" Nico asked as I joined him in the living room.

"Yeah, do we need to bring anything?"

"I asked Benny to put a case of the beer I had shipped over from Belgium in the back of the car, but otherwise, Ajax said they were all set. Benny's going to drive us, so we can have a few beers without having to worry about driving."

I smiled to myself as we headed out the door; the irony, I now owned a gallery, have moved in with my 31 year boyfriend, was about to be a father, yet legally, I couldn't drink alcohol. Not that I really cared, it's not like I was a big drinker, but I enjoyed a good beer or glass of wine once in a while.

Benny was waiting for us at the curb and we hopped in. I looked around the back seat and suddenly realized something.

"We haven't gotten a car seat yet!" We'd been so focused on the nursery that neither of us had thought about a car seat.

"Don't worry, we'll go get the best one on the market tomorrow....we'll get a few, one for each of our cars." I chuckled at the thought of a car seat in the Jag. "Actually, I can't take her in the Jag," he said to himself as if the thought just occurred to him. "Shit, I need to get a new car too! Tomorrow's going to be a busy day!"

Nico trailed off and I looked up at Benny in the rear view mirror and we shared an amused look.

We made good time and arrived at Ajax and Benji's in 45 minutes. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, perfect for an outdoor barbecue. Benji met us at the door as soon as we arrived with an excited look on his face.

"Hi guys!" he blurted out, practically bouncing out of his shoes.

"Hey Benj," I hopped up the steps and gave him a big hug, Nico did the same as soon as I stepped to the side.

"What has you bursting at the seams Benji?" Nico asked.

"Nothing...no, nothing...just glad to see you....umm....come out back, Ajax is setting up the barbecue...and we have drinks and stuff to eat."

"Ohhkay." I looked at Nico and he raised his eyebrows. I shrugged my shoulders, it was Benji after all.

We followed him through the house and out the French doors to the patio. The first thing I saw were what looked like hundreds of pink balloons.

"Surprise!!" Came a shout from several people. I looked around in confusion, it wasn't my birthday and it wasn't Nico's birthday...then I looked back at the pink balloons, finally noticing a banner hanging on the gazebo.

Happy Baby Shower! It read.

"Oh my god," I laughed and looked back at Nico. He blushed as the sides of his mouth creeped up.

Tons of people we knew were there; Chris and Thomas, some of Nico's friends and employees, Liam, Jonah, Brett and Aiden, Garrett and his new friend Luke, Eli, Sebastien and several others.