Chapter 14

Helmut had been angry at her since their argument. He gave her the cold shoulder, ignoring her when she spoke to him. It had been a few days since he had acknowledged her. (Y/n) couldn't take the silence anymore.
"Helmut, please talk to me. I'm sorry for what I did. I'll never do it again! I promise... please, Helmut," she begged, pulling on the sleeve of his shirt. Looking down at her, he sighed. He tucked a strand of stray hair behind her ear, kissing her on the cheek.
"Okay," Helmut responded. Grinning, (Y/n) peppered his face with kisses. She threw herself at him, wrapping her arms tightly around his neck. He held her up, her legs crossed around his waist.
"I love you, Helmut," she whispered in his ear.
"You do?" He asked. She eagerly nodded in response. Smiling, he placed her on the ground, lifting her shirt over her stomach. Kneeling, he brought his face to her belly, kissing her baby bump.
"I love you," he said, looking up at her. She ran her fingers through his hair, pulling him up to meet her face. She kissed him gently, holding both sides of his face. Helmut pulled away, looking at the bruises on her neck.
"I'm sorry, darling. I really am. I don't know what comes over me," he looked to the ground.
"I forgive you, Helmut. Don't feel bad; I'm okay," she cooed, pulling him into a hug. Burying his face in her neck, he sighed. He kissed her all along her skin, leading up to her face. She pulled him closer, meeting his lips. After a few seconds, she pulled away.
"My belly is getting big," she rubbed her stomach.
"Are you excited?" Helmut met her eyes.
"I'm so excited, Helmut," she smiled, "I just want him to come already," she sighed.
"I know, darling, me too," he rubbed her back.
"We need to buy some things for the baby," (Y/n) said, walking to the kitchen. She pulled out a pen and paper, beginning to write a list.
"We need to build the nursery," she smiled. Her smile dropped as she realized where she would have to put her child; the only empty room in the apartment. She froze, the pen dropping to the floor.
"What's wrong, darling?" Helmut furrowed his brows.
"I don't feel very well," she blinked, beginning to stand from the kitchen table.
"Come lay down," he held her up, guiding her to the bedroom.
This is no place to raise a child, she thought to herself. She didn't want her child to be held captive as she had been, vulnerable to Helmut's violent outbursts.
"Can I get you anything, my love?" Helmut asked. Now laying down, (Y/n) turned to face him.
"Yeah... could you get me a Cheese Danish from the bakery I like please? The baby wants one," she smiled weakly, rubbing her stomach.
"Of course," he cooed, brushing her hair from her face and tucking it behind her ear. "I'll be back soon." She closed her eyes as he stood from the bed. Drifting off into a dreamless slumber, (Y/n) was awoken to creaking and shuffling. Sitting up, she tried to locate the source of the sound.
"What the hell?" She whispered. "Helmut?" She called out.
No reply.
The noise came back, coming from the ceiling. Her eyes widened, her jaw dropping.
There's someone in the apartment above me.
Determined to get their attention, she stood from the bed, rushing to the living room. She turned the television on to its highest volume. Waiting, she watched the ceiling. When nothing happened, she muted the television. Another idea struck her; she ran to the side of the room and began screaming and banging on the walls. Still screaming, she ran to the kitchen, grabbing a broom. She struck the ceiling with the handle of it over and over again. The shuffling sound returned.
"Help me please!" She screeched, pounding on the ceiling with the broom handle. Pausing to listen, the shuffling disappeared. Tears welled up in her eyes as the shuffling never returned. Sobbing now, she fell to the floor. Her heart dropped to her stomach as she heard a knock at the door.
"Hallo?" She heard a male voice on the other side of the door. She bolted to the voice, slamming her fists against it.
"Help me, please!" She screamed.
"Bist du in Ordnung?" He asked.
Shit, he's speaking German.
Racking her brains for the translation, she shouted out, "Ruf die Polizei! Ruf die Polizei!" Thank god for high school German class.
"Okay, Schatz, eine Sekunde," he answered.
Waiting on her side of the door, she heard a thump against the wood.
"Hello?"
No answer.
She heard keys on the other side of the door, she pressed her ear against the wood to hear more. The door began to open.
"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Helmut seethed. She looked in the hallway, seeing the man, unconscious, lying on the floor. (Y/n) saw an opportunity to make a run for it, the door unlocked and open. She pushed past her captor, bolting down the stairs. He dropped the bag he was holding, sprinting after her.
"Come back," he screamed. She didn't dare look behind her as she ran, knowing that would slow her down. She reached the front door, leading to a bare, snowy outdoors. As she pushed with all of her strength, the doors didn't budge. She cried out as she heard his footsteps behind her. Helmut grabbed her by the hair, slamming her skull into the glass of the door, knocking her unconscious.

***
As she opened her eyes, she groaned, the pain in her forehead was unbearable. Looking around, she was laying on the couch in the living room.
"You're awake. Finally," Helmut said. Looking up at him, his clothes were covered in blood. "Oh, the blood." He looked down at himself. "Yes, well, because of your little stunt back there, I had to take care of that man," he crossed his arms.
"You killed him?" She whispered.
"Yes, I killed him. I didn't want to, but you made me. I had no other choice," he clenched his teeth, looking down at his hands. 

"Helmut, I--" she started, tears welling up in her eyes. Slowly, he walked towards her, his eyes glued to the floor. Kneeling in front of her, he took her hands into his. 

"Darling, you understand that I didn't want to do that right? I only did it to protect us! To protect our family." Kissing her hands, he continued, "I love you so much, I couldn't let anyone take you away from me. Do you understand? I would do anything for you," he whispered, his brows furrowed. As she remained silent, his eyes trailed up to the blood holding her hair to her forehead. "Tsk," he shook his head, bringing his hand up to caress her face. "I'm sorry I did this to you."

"Helmut, it hurts," she whimpered. 

"I know, darling, I know," he cooed, pulling her into his embrace. After her cries faded, Helmut gently pushed her to lay down on the couch. "You should sleep. I'll take care of everything. It will all be okay. I promise." The instant her head touched the couch cushion, she was out like a light. When she arose, Helmut was dressed in clean clothes, drinking tea in the kitchen, and there was no blood in sight. Her groans got his attention. He jumped from his seat, rushing to her side. "You're awake! You slept for a long time."

"How long was I asleep?" she groaned, rubbing her eyes. Looking down, she realized that Helmut had cleaned her and put her in fresh clothing. Her hand reached up to her wound, which she found that Helmut had cleaned and dressed as well. 

"Oh, probably a little over twelve hours," he answered, looking at his watch. "I took care of everything, darling. You have nothing to worry about. It's just us and the baby now. I promise. No one will take you away from me." (Y/n)'s eyes trailed to the floor, her heart sinking. That may have been her only chance of escape and instead, she got an innocent man killed. Helmut had now killed for her. Is there anything he won't do for her?