Chapter 11

The morning after her nightmare, (Y/n) woke up later than usual; she must've needed the sleep. Having slept through breakfast, it was lunchtime already. She awoke to the scent of fresh grilled cheese. Sitting up, she felt her stomach grumble.

Helmut, hearing her stirring, came into the room to check on her.

"Good afternoon, sleeping beauty," he sat next to her and began to stroke her back. She leaned into his touch, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Would you like to talk about your dream, darling?" He questioned, pushing a stray lock of hair from her eyes. She shook her head in response.

"Very well. I've made you some grilled cheese. Are you hungry?" Her eyes lit up, nodding her head to answer his question.

"Come," he said, getting up and holding a hand out to her.

*****
That afternoon, (Y/n) went to Helmut's room for a nap. When she woke up, Helmut was nowhere to be found, but she found a note on the fridge:

I've gone to get us a Christmas tree; I thought it would be fun for us to decorate it. I was hoping it would lift your spirits a bit. I'll be back soon, darling.

— H

The note fell from her hands, fluttering to the floor.

Christmas tree? Have I really been here for that fucking long?

Her eyes began to fill with tears as her heart ached. The holidays were her favorite and she longed to spend time with her family; with Bucky. She missed them with every fiber of her being, but she was unsure if she'd ever be able to see them again. Part of her hates Helmut for doing what he did to her. The other part knows that he's not a bad person; he's just damaged and hurting.

She figured she'd have to adjust to the circumstances and make new memories.

She heard keys jingling behind the front door, preparing herself to see Helmut again. He walked in holding a small tree. The fresh smell of pine wafted under her nose as he approached her.

"Oh, you're awake! I'm sorry I couldn't get a larger tree; it wouldn't fit in here," he gestured upwards at the ceiling to their apartment.

"It's alright," she responded, keeping her distance, allowing him to put the tree down.

"I was thinking we could make some Christmas cookies together? Would you want to do that, darling?" he asked, placing the tree down. She nodded, a smile on her face.

"Why don't you go preheat the oven while I put the tree in the living room?" he gestured to the kitchen.

"Okay," she rubbed her hands together. She had always loved baking; it had been a while since she was able to use her skills. Going through the cabinets, she pulled out what she needed for the recipe that she'd learned from Steve; she knew it by heart.

As she began to measure the ingredients, she felt Helmut come up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist, burying his face in her neck. Goosebumps covered her skin as she felt the heat from his breath on her skin.

"What kind of cookies are we making?" he cooed.

"Gingerbread. It's Steve's recipe. Me and Bucky used to make it every Christmas," she answered, turning her face to look at him.

Helmut's body tensed up; he removed his arms from her body, sitting in the chair across the room with a huff.

"What? What's wrong?" she questioned, feeling almost naked from the loss of his touch.

"Don't. Say. His. Name." he said through gritted teeth.

"W-what? Who?" she stammered.

"The winter soldier. Don't ever speak his name again," he seethed, slamming his fists on the table.