Chapter 16

"Helmut,"  she screamed, "Something is wrong."

They had tried to give birth at the secluded apartment. Helmut knew that there would be risks; birth is dangerous even with medical professionals present. He knew that there was the possibility that he would have to bring (Y/n) outside of the building. After about 30 minutes of contractions, her pain became unbearable. She had begun to faint from the exertion. As soon as Helmut saw blood, he made up his mind; it was time to go to the hospital. 

Now, Helmut didn't care whether he got caught or not. He was too panicked; he couldn't lose his family. Not again.

Tapping his fingers nervously on his steering wheel, he constantly looked back at her to make sure she was okay. Laying in the backseat, she was drifting in and out of consciousness. Although it was worrying, it worked to his advantage; she had no awareness of their location.

"Darling, can you hear me? Please stay awake my love," Helmut pleaded, trying to keep his voice calm.

She groaned in response, barely opening her eyes. Helmut put more pressure on the gas pedal, pushing the speed limit.

*****
"Help me, please! Something is wrong with my wife! She's 9 months pregnant," Helmut yelled after bursting through the emergency room doors, (Y/n) being carried bridal-style in his arms.

"She can't stay awake. She's bleeding," he informed the nurses as they rushed to put her on a bed. The hospital staff rushed to push her into an examination room. A doctor rushed through as the nurses removed the clothing on her lower half. The doctor took one look at her before stating,

"We need to operate immediately or we might lose both of them."

*****
Helmut couldn't stop shaking. He could feel the blood pumping through his veins. He could hear his own heartbeat in his ears, his heartbeat matching up with (Y/n)'s on the monitor. The smell of her blood was in the air, making him dizzy. The only thing keeping him grounded was the feeling of her hair between his fingers. He couldn't see them operating; he was on the other side of the barrier where her head was. Her expression was peaceful. He felt relatively relieved knowing she was unaware of what was happening to her.

Crouching down, he planted a kiss on her forehead, smoothing her hair down, running his fingers over her cheek.

"I love you, darling. You're so strong. You can do this," he cooed to her, placing his cheek against hers. He could hear her steady breathing. He closed his eyes, listening. He tried to block out the squelching noises coming from the other side of the barrier. 

Helmut didn't know how long the operation took. It felt like an eternity to him. He felt as though he was spectating the situation outside of his body, looking over. He was snapped out of his daze by a nurse's voice.

"It's a boy!" 

Cheering echoed in the operating room, followed by the soft cries of the newborn. The nurse appeared from behind the barrier, the blanket-clad child in her arms. 

"Mom and baby are both okay," she held him out to Helmut. He gently took the slime-covered baby in his arms. "He's perfect," she said, placing a gentle hand on his arm. Helmut was speechless. His eyes welled up with tears as he looked at the boy in his grasp. He kneeled back down to (Y/n), bringing the child up to her. 

"Look at our beautiful boy, my darling. You did it," he praised, placing his forehead against hers.  

"Alright, dad. I'm going to take baby to get cleaned up and we'll finish up with mom, okay?" The nurse spoke after Helmut went silent, extending her arms out to him, reaching for the baby. Helmut hesitated, gently handing him over to her. "Don't worry. I'll bring him right back to you," she smiled before walking away from him with the child cradled in her arms. 

Helmut fought to push down the worried thoughts. Although he had considered the fact that people were looking for him and (Y/n), no one knew what country they were in or what they even looked like at the time. His hair was much longer than in the photos of him, just about shoulder length, and he had grown a beard since then. (Y/n) was more recognizable, although her hair was much longer as well. It would be very unlikely for them to be found out. 

Even though it was unlikely, it wasn't impossible. Now that (Y/n) had been seen in public, Helmut knew he had to take care of things.