Chapter 15

"Fuck," (Y/n) whispered to herself, hunched over, one hand grasping the kitchen table while the other clutched her back. The time was getting close; they had decided that the baby would sleep in their room in a crib on (Y/n)'s side of the bed. She was very far along now, she could feel the baby's every move.

"What is it, my darling? Is it time?" Helmut rushed to her side. 

"Relax, he's just moving," she reassured him, swatting his helping hands away. 

"He's always moving nowadays. I just want him to come already," Helmut grumbled, rubbing her lower back. 

"You want him to come? I'm the one carrying a fucking person inside of me," she snapped. Unsurprisingly, she had been meaner to Helmut than usual; the pregnancy hormones as well as the discomfort of the last few weeks of the pregnancy were getting to her. 

"I suppose you're right, darling. I'm sorry," he kissed her head, chuckling. 

"I'm sorry, Helmut, I didn't mean to yell at you," she teared up. 

"No no, it's okay. Don't cry, I know you're under a lot of stress right now. You must be so uncomfortable," he pulled her into a hug. 

"I'm so scared, Helmut. What if something goes wrong? I wish you'd at least let a doctor help with the birth if we're not allowed to go to the hospital," she said, her head buried in his chest. 

"I'm more than capable; we don't need help." he answered sternly, "I've done plenty of research."

"Research," she scoffed. "So now you have all of the knowledge of a doctor who's been through medical school?"

"Yes. This conversation is over," Helmut grumbled, leaving (Y/n) alone in the kitchen. 

*****

"Helmut," (Y/n) called out. 

"Yes, darling?" Helmut greeted her, walking over the threshold of their bedroom. "Where are you?" 

"Here," she giggled, wiggling her fingers from under the covers. She had encased herself in multiple layers of blankets, covering the bed with an assortment of pillows. Helmut walked over to her, sitting on the edge of the bed. 

"What is it?" he asked.

"Can you cuddle with me?" she smirked, taking his hand in hers. 

"Of course," he chuckled. 

She peeled the covers off of her, pushing a few pillows off of the bed, silently offering him the space next to her. He enthusiastically accepted her offer, occupying the space next to her so that his face was facing hers. Once he was settled in, she placed the covers under his arm, smoothing it out over his body. Gazing into his eyes, she gently placed her hands on both sides of his face. She leaned forward, placing a tender kiss to his lips. Pulling back slightly, she leaned her forehead against his, looking into his eyes. 

"I love you," she whispered. She didn't know if it was the truth. She didn't know if she was saying it to convince herself or to convince him; perhaps she was trying to do both. The hole in her heart felt deeper than it had ever felt. If she had known that love would do this to her, she would have avoided it at all costs. She was so scared for the event to come, she only wanted Bucky to be there by her side. She wanted him to be the one holding her, kissing her, making love to her. All she wanted was Bucky. 

No. I can't do this anymore. It hurts too much, she thought to herself. Taking a deep inhale and exhale, she tried her hardest to let him go. Who knows if she would ever see him again? Tears fell from the corners of her eyes. 

Helmut watched her carefully. He seemed to acknowledge the internal struggle she was experiencing. He softly wiped the tears from the corners of her eyes. Planting a gentle kiss to her forehead pulling her close to his chest, he responded, 

"I love you."